Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problems after changing strings

ondray

Hi guys,

I need suggestions and help. Have just changed my strings (have been on the bass since i first bought it from a friend) from Ernie Super Slinky to D'Addarios XL. Both are made of nickel round wound and are of the same gauges too.

But ever since i changed them, i have been getting fretting buzz whenever i move along the frets, especially on the A string. Also I notice that the E and A strings sound too bright.(near guitar like sounds). Maybe i am just too used to the old thumpy strings. I have not adjusted the action of the bass.

Please share your experience if you have encountered this problem before.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This happened to me when i first changed my strings on my tobias, but after having the new strings on for about a week, the buzzing went away, so i never had to adjust the truss rods.

Im not sure, but i was thinking that the amount of time the bass spends without the strings on might through off the the tension neck a little. just a thought.

We distort. You abide.

Hey, How did you change the strings?

The first time I had to change them, I went back to the place I bought it from (because they asked me to) so they could go over with me the right way to do it. Anyhow, one things they said to never do is take all of the strings off at one time. So what I do is leave all the strings on and just change the G, then the D, then the A, then the E, and then the B (or the other way, or however you want to). That may not be the case with you, but it has helped my with my neck.

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

Originally posted by prophetgtree:

[QB]Hey, How did you change the strings?

The first time I had to change them, I went back to the place I bought it from (because they asked me to) so they could go over with me the right way to do it.

ProphetGtree...I never knew music storesw like that existed!

Man, you don't wanna shop in Belfast, the store assistants there are murder!

Cup

That's true about not taking all the string off at once...it can really screw the neck up. The gat store guy probably mentioned this too, but winding the strings up the tuning post (instead of down it) will keep them in tune better.

Something I also do is lube the nut up a little bit before you pop the string in (a good ol HB pencil will do), it helps the strings break in faster.

Archived