Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where is my emotion?

Metal_Boy16

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A) *Without* your bass, can you dance a bit (er, in rhythm to music) when listening to the stereo. Do this a just a bit *with* your bass when playing to stay "in tempo" with the rest of the group.

B) Do you know what "the pocket" is, when playing? Can you play in "the pocket"?

D) Do you know what notes to play over the chord-changes? Can you play those notes?

For me, invoked *positive* emotion requires each of the above...

Of course, if all you want is emotion, de-tune your bass, get a cheezy amp, and play with no rhythm!

Metal boy, I was intrigued by this post. For me bass playing is the only thing that keeps me sane, it's an extremely emotional experience...which I've used as therapy after breakups (unfortunately that's been the source of much creative inspiration), if I'm depressed, or even just had a shitty day.

I guess what I'm saying is music isn't something that you should expect yourself to respond in a particular way too. It's different for everyone and the secret is freeing your mind and letting the music take you away. When that happens your emotions become part of the music. Amazing stuff can happen when you think this way. It's really easy to overanalyze music (or your own playing) and think about what you may or may not be contributing to it. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself!

One thing that I've found is playing with my eyes closed (i.e. not intently watching my fingering on the fingerboard). You'd be shocked at how much more "emotional" your playing will sound (and how less sore your neck will be!). Obviously you have to be at a point technically where you intuitively know where to put your fingers, but peekings ok too! And think about it, if you can play eyes closed, obviously you are techinically proficient and can concentrate on putting more emotion (always the biggest variable when playing) up front. I think it's because your eyes (when closed), shut down the visual part of your brain, opening your ears so you can hear and "feel" the bass (and other music) better. In this wonderful situation, I find my playing becomes much more fluid and a previously difficult section can be played "easier", by which I mean your free to let your emotions take the music where you want it too. Remember, it shouldn't be a battle, the bass is just a tool to get the music out of your head. The extra practise won't hurt either!

I hope that helps, good luck!

So you have trouble feeling emotions that other people thrust upon you? Congratulations! The title of your post asks, "Where is my emotion?" Sounds like your emotion hasn't been roused yet by whatever your bandmates are putting out. All of us at one time or another will play music that's fun to play, with a band that plays it well, but still get no thrill out of it, whether it's supposed to be 'emo' or not. And there are sooooooo many bands out there these days that make their fortunes off hurt feelings - "Shut up when I'm talking to you!" It all just makes my butt ache. So you don't get moved by a lot of put-upon emotion? Good for you. It just means you're deeper than that, and it means that you will make some music down the road with a deeper emotional impact than whatever you're playing now. Songs about suffering only succeed when they touch on the universal, not when they try to tell the world your personal life story. Because the world doesn't want to hear your life story, especially when you haven't even really had a life to tell about yet, and usually even then.

As for what Dan said - the reason a lot of teen angst goes ignored is not because adults don't understand, but that they understand all too well. Teenagers experiencing certain strong emotions for the first time tend to behave as though they never happened to anyone else, when adults are thinking, "So what? That's going to happen to you a million more times before you die. Grow up." It is a matter of perspective. I think back on some of the fits I pitched as a 'sensitive' teenager and I chuckle at myself. I don't feel too bad about it, though, because hey - I was a teenager, and that's what teenagers do.

Remember, this is not the last band you'll ever play with, only the first. God help all of us if we were only in one band forever - unless you're Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson and the band is Rush. But your time will come, young grasshopper, and one day you will have that world-changing musical experience. It will make you weep tears of joy, if you are any kind of a man.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

It just had to be done.

I give you: The EMO bunny

He's feeling an extra dose of 'angst' today, as his 593 closest relatives all died in a tragic gardening accident.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/bunny4EMO.JPG

Archived