Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

unoriginal

Bassplayer58

would i be considered unoriginal if i get a signature bass? I am looking at Stu Hamm's Fender Urge Bass II. I really like it because it has a really comfortable neck and it has both J and P pick-ups and it just has good all around tone. The reason i ask this is because i have never seen a pro(by pro i mean a full time musician) using a signature bass that is not their own. i don't want to be called "unoriginal" or "stealing Stu Hamm's tone." thanks for your advice ahead of time

-Dan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about stealing Stu Hamm's tone by using a copy of his bass. I've played a fretless Jazz Bass, but I still cannot quite steal Jaco's tone. I also played a Jazz Bass with an ash body and a maple neck, but I'm still a bit off of Miller's tone.

If you like the bass and it plays well, buy it.

Well, the primary reason you don't see many others using sig. models is because they have the backing to get a custom order bass that matches whatever specs they want, be it an exact copy of a sig. model or just tweaked a bit. I also see a lot of players who have sig. models and do not play them.

What do you care what other people think? Do you think they care what you think?

If you play unoriginal bass lines all the time, people will think you're unoriginal. If you play tasty bass licks all the time, they won't care if you play a cigar box with rubber bands on it.

If the signature bass floats your boat, buy it and play the snot out of it.

Bruiser

My Geddy Lee Jazz is my favorite bass ever, but I have never really liked Geddy Lee or Rush. Nor does it make me sound at all like Mr. Lee. If it did, I wouldn't play it. It just happened that when I was looking for a '70s Fender Jazz w/maple fretboard, the GL fit the bill perfectly.

I don't know what the Stu Hamm model looks like, but most of the time the "signature" is someplace inconspicuous. Nobody even has to know, unless you tell them.

-Matt M

One prescription bro...

take some punk pills which says "DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE SAY"

after that hummm....i'm sure you won't re who's name appears on the headstock...

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

To quote one Mr. Frank Zappa: "who gives a f**k anyway?".

Indeed. If you like the bass, the way it feels in your hands, and the tone you can seduce out of it... buy that bastard and play the hell out of it. Who cares if it's a 'signature' series or not?

Personally, I think the whole 'signature' series instrument is ridiculous. Who cares what plays? Who cares what their setup is on said instrument? You should play what feels and sounds good to you. I wouldn't want a Brian Timpe signature series bass, made by any manufacturer. First of all, no one would want to buy it, and second, it would have, you know, like 3 knobs, and all of them would be labeled "Suck". You could totally achieve "suck" at 33; because all the knobs would go to '11'.

As I turned to you, you smiled at me, how could we say 'no'?

(SUPER extra bone-us points to anyone who knows what song that one is from)

Look if you don't buy that bass, i'll buy it cos its sooo damn nice, another vote for who cares and most people won't reconize it (unless you happen to meet one of the people from here and then the only thing they'll say will be "can i have a go")
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

As I turned to you, you smiled at me, how could we say 'no'?

(SUPER extra bone-us points to anyone who knows what song that one is from)

And that would be Achilles Last Stand.

Alex

Beat me to it. :mad:

What a great tune...

As for the original topic of the thread: play what you want. If it feels good and sounds bad-ass then it's the bass for you.

Originally submitted with humility by the partial Zaftig known as "Bumpcity":

I wouldn't want a Brian Timpe signature series bass, made by any manufacturer. First of all, no one would want to buy it, and second, it would have, you know, like 3 knobs, and all of them would be labeled "Suck". You could totally achieve "suck" at 33; because all the knobs would go to '11'.

Wait a second, I already own this bass! :confused::mad::D

Y'all will be lining up at the door to own a Seismic Sweet Willie signature model once they're in production -- mark my words... :D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Personally i don't like signature basses, or those "beat up in the factory" models either. Why? Because the idiots they seem to attract.

But you don't seem impressed by the name, so get it!

It's a bass that plays well, feels good and has good tone. They only thing fukcing it up is a silly little name. Cover the name up with tape, stratch it off, do whatever, buy it, play it...change your name, tell people Fender made it for YOU.

Cup

Another thing to remember:

Every kind of instrument out there has probably been played by someone famous at one time or another. Not everyone who plays a Music Man bass is a Flea clone, and playing a yellow Telecaster doesn't always invite Bruse Springsteen comparisons.

In other words, don't sweat it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Well, I think we've DEFINITELY got a consensus here: play what you want. I too play a Geddy Lee Jazz, because I just fell totally in love with the sound & feel of the thing. (I like Geddy Lee, but I'm also glad that Fender put the sig on the BACK of the headstock!) That Fender Roscoe Beck also sounds just too spongeworthy.

And our own Ed Friedland owns a Carvin Bunny Brunel sig or two. As far as I have been able to tell, this has not done a lot to detract from his originality. :D

I actually avoided picking up and trying out any Fender Jazz basses when I was starting out, simply because I thought they were "unoriginal" and "everyone plays those" (I was a stupid junior high kid at the time)... after my original bass (a Washburn) was stolen, I finally tried one out... 14 years later, I can say I'm the proud owner of a Fender Jazz, and I've only played a few basses out of dozens I've tried which I think fit me better... so play as many basses as possible in any store you can find, to figure out the sound and feel you really want...
"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Originally posted by Iceman Irwin:

One prescription bro...

take some punk pills which says "DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE SAY"

after that hummm....i'm sure you won't re who's name appears on the headstock...

A prescription for you...

learn how to spell, check your words, and use correct grammer.

:D:wave:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by bc:

I have a Nathan East signature bass. I bought it because, for a bass of its quality it was being sold at a very low price (£950 new, about $1500). Even a few years later, I've never knowingly heard Nathan East play.

You have heard Nathan East play if you've heard Clapton or Phil Collins play in the last 10 years. Not to mention the countless studio gigs he's done.

Archived