Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you still have your first bass?

Afro_Man

My first bass was a Kalamazoo SG shaped thing with the one big, silver pickup in the neck position;definitely more boom than twang, but it soundedokay back in 1971. I sold it in '72, just before joining the Air Force. Can't say I miss it much.

The one I do wish I had back, though, was a '62 P bass I bought for $200 back April 1981. I found it in a music store in Hannibal Mo. Somebody had stripped it down to wood and put a walnut stain on it. It looked like 50 mile of rough road, but the neck was true and the sound was great. I traded it to a guy for a TEAC 3340. After refinishing it, he traded it to a music store for a Martin D12-20. I know the guy who owns it, and he wouldn't part with it for any amount I could afford. Short of a genuine miracle, I'll never find another bass like that one, not that I can afford, anyway.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ken Woodward:

I wish I still had my first Bass. It was a 1968 Gibson EBO. If anyone knows of where I can get one of these (not the the re-issue), I would buy it just to have one again.

Ken - EB0 basses do show up on ebay and in stores from time to time. I haven't examined serial numbers to see if they are '68s.

While these basses do not have the "collector" price tag that our Fender siblings have, they have risen in price recently ($1000-$1300). They are often in bad shape and probably not worth the money beyond those of us who have loved and cherished one.

If you aren't in a hurry I'll keep my eyes out. Try Elderly, bassnw, and gguitars for some reputable places beyond ebay and craigslist.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Unfortunately not. I had an imitation Gibson SG. The brand was KEY. 30" scale. 2 metal cap pick-ups that I later switched out for EMG's. I also installed a BAD ASS BASS II bridge. It was cool. I ended up selling it to a friend but now that friend is in jail and I have no idea what happened to that bass.

I wish I still had my first bass. It was a '63 EB2D with a Badass bridge and Bartolinis in sunburst. I sold it before I went to Berklee in 1981, thinking that it would be an incredibly unhip bass to have there (I also played with pick, which I dumped). After a while there I learned that the guy who was most influential in the bass dept also played an EB2 with a pick (Steve Swallow). Don't bow to fashion!

Edwin

Anyone seen it? I sold it to a kid in Cambridge, MA.

I still have my first (and only) bass. It's a Godin BG4 with 2 double hummbucking active P/U's.

I've only had it for about 3 years and am just breaking it in.

I now have my eye on a Fender J or P. I'm not sure what the difference is but will start reading as I'm sure that this topic has been well covered in this forum.

Jason

Originally posted by Afro_boy:

I was wondering how many people actually have their first bass, and if so why and if not why? just wondering.

My bass was a cheap-o P-Bass knockoff by a company called Bently (yes that's how they spelled it, couldnt afford to have anopther e in the logo).

I had it for 3 months before i bought an Ibanez ATK. I do miss that one (gone for 8 years).

Insert inaccurate quote here

I got my first bass at 13. It was a Harmony Jazz Bass copy, in metallic red with a matching headstock. It even had the block inlays and neck binding. It played great, but I never really knew how it sounded because it never got plugged into a good bass amp, only a very cheap FET guitar amp from the 60's.

I learned a few basslines on it, and eventually traded it for a Kahler tremolo for my Strat, which I still have! (does having what I traded my first bass for count?)

:)

Archived