Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aguilar OBP-3 / Seymour Duncan STC-3 Onboard Preamps

Pernax

Greetings fellow Lowdowners, it's time again for me to tap into the collective vault of knowledge, i.e. turn to you guys for help.

As some of you might have noticed from my recent postings, I'm going to get a custom 5-string bass build for me. Everything is still in quite an early stage, and I'm taking as much time as it needs in order to get every detail right. This brings us to the topic of the thread - onboard electronics. I'm going to go with a Musicman-style pickup (Seymour Duncan) at the brigde and a J-style PU (probably a Seymour Duncan aswell, but not 100% sure yet, suggestions for bringing diversity/balance for the MM-pu will be appreciated...) at the neck. The idea is to get the punchy/grindy sound from the bridge-PU and to bring a bit more softness from the J. So now I need to pick a preamp. Basically there are two choices, listed in the topic of this thread. I've heard quite a lot of positive feedback about the Aguilar, but there are no official Aguilar dealers in Finland, so it would cost a bit more as it would have to be imported (from Germany most probably). The Seymour Duncan unit can be ordered via a local music store, but I haven't really heard anything about it, so feedback is much appreciated (once again).

So if anyone has any experience of either one of the units, do share! Also opinions and suggestions on other choices are welcome aswell.

Thanks for your time,

-Pernax

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played a custom Stambaugh 5-string with an OBP-3 in it. It was really great.

I also played a custom Bee 5-string with a Seymour Duncan preamp in it -- I think the same one you're looking at -- and it was pretty tasty, too. (It was Whappo's bass, so maybe he'll chime in and offer his opinions.)

I've played a Modulus Flea bass (4-string) and a Spector ReBop 4-string both with the OBP-1, and I thought they sounded awesome. So, generally, I've found the Aguilar preamps to be nicely voiced and tasty!

I think I'd go with the Aguilar OBP-3, but don't have a really good reason to back that up. One nice thing about the OBP-3 (which I don't think is true of the Seymour Duncan) is that the luthier can wire the midrange to be set at one of a variety of frequencies, or for a toggle switch between two frequencies. The factory set-up is switchable between 400 Hz and 800 Hz, but if certain frequencies seem to be emphasized better based on the types of wood, etc. used in the bass, you might appreciate being able to have some customizability (is that a word?) in your on-board preamp.

I hope I've helped more than I've confused you! :(

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks for the reply Willie, sweet stuff as usual ;) .

Indeed the OBP-3 seems like the better choice when comparing specs. I also agree with you that the possibility to replace the mid-freq switch on the OBP-3 with a concentric pot is a really nice bonus, that is what initially made the Aggie my #1 option. The Seymour Duncan unit sports only a single control for mids, but there is a "slap"-switch which alters the EQ in a pre-set way making it more suited for slapping. As I don't really slap, I rate the OPB-3's mid-frequency EQ'ing abilities higher than what the STC-3 has to offer. My current weapons of choice have a similar mid level/frequency setup, so it's something I'd like to have in my new axe as well.

So, currently the Aguilar is ahead, any Seymour Duncan users out there to add something new to the mix?

-Pernax

Pernax,

Can the OBP-3 really be set-up for sweepable mids? I didn't realize that.

I thought it was only that you could pick two mid frequencies (one low, one high) to toggle between (if you wanted other than the "factory" presets of 400 Hz and 800 Hz).

Peace,

--sweets

spreadluv

Hehe yeah that's what I thought. I have to tell you that I was indeed starting to feel more confused than after listening to some Primus songs played backwards... But all's well ends well or however the saying goes.

Oh, I have another question too... 9V or 18V? Apples and oranges? I've read that using 18V would open up the preamp more nicely, anyone have any thoughts about this? The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning to have those quick-lock battery cavities installed, so if the preamp will benefit from the added voltage, I'll install a double battery quick-lock thingy (as opposed to placing the batteries into the control cavity where an extra battery can be added later on).

-Pernax

Originally posted by Pernax:

Oh, I have another question too... 9V or 18V? Apples and oranges? I've read that using 18V would open up the preamp more nicely, anyone have any thoughts about this?

The OBP-3 is already pretty powerful -- +/- 18 dB for lows, +/- 16 dB for mids, +/- 16 dB for highs. Going to 18v adds another 6 dB. Whether it "opens it up" more, I don't know. The Stambaugh w/ the OBP-3 I played was 9v (I think), and sounded awesome (of course, the bass itself gets some credit, too, not just the preamp!).

How do you use your on-board preamp? I tend to EQ as much as I can at the amp, and then use the on-board to tweak while I'm playing. If you use your on-board preamp EQ heavily, you may be well-served by going with 18v and having your custom bass built to accommodate that.

I think you should hear what some others have to say, though.

Peace.

spreadluv

Sweepable mids, huh? That's cool, but it shouldn't be the main reason to choose the Aguilar. The main reason should be tone.

I had the Aguilar OBP-1 and loved it. The sound was so musical. I've never tried another circuit quite like it. If the OBP-3 is anything like that, then I'd say go for that!

Another thing to consider is that the Aguilar circuits are state of the art, while those Seymour Duncan pre's have been around since the mid '90s.

9 vs 18 is a raging debate. If it's easy to make room for the second battery, I'd say go with 18. The OBP-1 had this incredible natural depth and clarity that I attribute in part to the 18V design. It's subtle, but I could definitely feel it.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

How do you use your on-board preamp?

I think you should hear what some others have to say, though.

Peace.

I tend to do the little EQ'ing that I do mostly from the onboard electronics, I'm running my amp's EQ-section quite flat. The reasoning for the 18v and the sweepable mids would be that I'd rather have it there and maybe not use it that much than not have it at all and miss it later. As for the 18v-thing, the reason I'm asking about it now instead of just waiting and testing it out when it's possible is strictly for construction planning purposes - Will I have a double battery compartment installed or just a single ? Based on the thoughts here, I'll probably go with the double - again, having it doesn't mean that I have to use it, but I'd have it ready incase I'd prefer the 18v-option.

As for other people's opinions, they're more than welcome. I'm in no hurry with all of this, but I do value your effort and constructive feedback thus far a lot, so this ones for you --> :thu: !

Originally posted by Jeff Addicott:

Sweepable mids, huh? That's cool, but it shouldn't be the main reason to choose the Aguilar. The main reason should be tone.

I agree that tone should be the main reason for choosing the preamp, but like I said, the comparison done in my posts have been based purely on specs. The sweepable mid-thing is just like whipped cream topping on a cake where as the slap-contour on the 'Duncan is only worth a few bitter cherries ;) . As I cannot get my hands on either of the preamps before actually ordering one, I have to count on other peoples opinions and preferences when it comes to tone. You do make a good point with stating that the Aguilar is state of the art, whilst the Seymour Duncan has been around the block for years. I received confirmation that the Aguilar unit is available to me (thanks to a fellow forumite, the luthier's usual parts dealer said that it would be too expensive for them to order just one unit) and the price difference between the two is quite insignificant, so the Aggie seems to be the way to go. But, nothing is carved in stone yet, like I said, I'm in no hurry :) . Oh and here's a thumbs up for you too as a token of my appreciation --> :thu: !

-Pernax

Originally posted by Jeff Addicott:

I agree. I definitely got hung-up in the sweepable mids conversation because it intrigued me.

I'm really not in a position to give great feedback on the Duncan preamp, but the OBP-3 and OBP-1, both of which I've tried out, sounded terrific to me. The tone, as Jeff pointed out, was definitely musical.

Peace.

spreadluv

I have a Demeter which I love (though not one of your choices). I've played the Ag and liked it.

I'm not going to make this easier for you. I wanted a two band (with "nonexistent" mid controls), but my maker couldn't get one, and I knew the Demeter. You may feel at home with those knobs and switches, but sweepable mids is usually more than I want to know.

Also, if the Duncan sounds good to you, do you really care if the Ag is "newer technology"? Are you building the bass out of carved wood? How ancient is that! ;)

Sounds like it will be a great bass - good luck!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, let me tell you a little story (well it's not that little so you might want to get some coffee or something to go with the tale) :

There was this little native boy who lived in a small igloo on a remote northern island made of ice in a place far far away from civilization, his only friends were the penguins (who kept hogging his icestickles) and a hyperactive polar bear who never cleaned up after a good powder party.

Once in a while the boy saw the odd ship sail by, pillowing puffs of smoke over the horizon. When he looked carefully enough, he could see people on the decks of the ship - celebrating and having a generally good time. They had all kinds of really nice looking foods and beverages, while the boy had to settle for plain ice and fresh white snow. The boy was envious, he thought it wasn't fair that others had so much to choose from while he had to settle for only the basic stuff his little icy island had to offer.

After watching the ships and people glide through the frosty pool enough times, he noticed a pattern developing in the different things the passengers of the ships consumed - clear favorites arose among the offerings. Every night being tucked under his blanket woven of icy strings he dreamt of those things of luxury and splender - if only he could ever get his share of the wonders of life.

So, on a particulary beautiful morning he saw yet another man made monument of wood and iron hover amongst the waves, but this time a bit closer than usually. He could see the people on the ship quite clearly, especially two gorgeous ladies holding something of different colors in their fair hands. But he could also see a big chunk of ice floating towards the route of the ship. The spotter on the highest mast of the oceanliner was too slow to react - there was nothing the captain and the crew could do to avoid the collision. Luckily the ship was built sturdy enough to take the force of the impact without too much damage, and could keep on going on with it's journey.

But the boy could see the two ladies previously holding their precious consumables - they were empty handed, and two colorfull items were bouncing up and down with the waves drifting apart from eachothers in the water. The boy saw his opportunity, but he had to act fast - the opening in the ice from the route of the ship was starting to close, threatening to cover the two prizes in a chilly embrace of ice. The boy happened to see a friendly polar bear awaking from his sleep just behind the igloo where he had passed out from the previous night's hard partying. The boy asked from the bear: "Please dear friend, could you get me the items from the sea!?!" The bear replied, wiping white powder snow from under his nose: "Sure, I can help you, especially since I made a bit of a mess of your igloo last night... But do know that I'm still tired from the festivities, so I can only make it in time to save just one of the goods".

The boy was faced with the biggest problem of his young primitive life - which of the fallen gifts of the sea to rescue? There was the blue one - he remembered seeing those in the hands of the happy folks, they were quite popular amongst the passengers, and those who consumed them seemed quite happy with their choice. And then there was the yellow one, he didn't remember seeing those that often, but he did remember that the ones he did see were in the hands of extremely happy people, clearly more delighted than the bearers of the blue delicasies. Time was running out so he had to make his choice. "Bring me the yellow one" he said, and the bear jumped in to the ocean and started to swim towards the soon to be prized posession. Navigating between the cracked slicks of ice the bear managed to use his God given dexterity to grab the yellow piece into his mouth and headed back to where the boy was waiting, dropping it next to the boy's feet.

Without hesitation the boy grabbed his newly found treasure and took a big bite out of it. A great big smile appeared on his face. The bear asked from the boy: "How does it taste?" The boy could hardly get a word out from smiling so much, but he managed to answer: "It tastes simply amazing, ice and snow is nothing compared to this!" and taking yet another bite. "But how do you know if the blue one wouldn't have been better?" inquired the bear. "Well, I have no way of knowing, as I've never tasted anything except this yellow one plus the normal ice and snow, and I will probably never get the chance to try the blue one, but I do have to say that for now, after experiencing my own little piece of paradise, I'm the happiest primal boy on this island!" And they all lived their lives happily ever after... well... except for the bear, who managed to snort a little bit too much of the white powder snow and ended up with a permanent brain freeze... but thats a totally different story...

THE END.

Pernax -

Keep us up-to-date on what you choose and how the installation goes.

I'm somewhat in the same boat; I recently bought a fretless Jazz with a Moses neck & Bartolinis. With it, came an OBP3, still in the box. I'll most likely have it installed, but I'm waiting until I'm more familiar with the bass, as it is now.

{...haven't played fretless since '79, and I've got a lot of 're-learning' to go...}

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I went for the Aguilar - it wasn't the easiest or the cheapest option, but I'm sure it will make up for that with it's sound. It will take a few months before I can really say how it will sound like, as the bass in which it's going to be installed is in the form of few rough pieces of wood in the luthier's workshop.

Next in the quest for knowledge will be the pickups, you'll hear from me again when that time comes. And I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of the bass project - with pictures :) .

-Pernax

Archived