Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Headroom

shandobass

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by shandobass:

We keep hearing about headroom. Explain exactly what it means?

Headroom has to do with the dynamic range of a given piece of equipment / gear. A book definition will be...

"the amplitude level between the nominal level and the maximum level in a dynamic range"

What that mumbo jumbo means is that the so called headroom is the amplitude that you have between the ideal level and the maximum level (the highest amplitude allowed before distortion occurs).

So if you have very little headroom and are recording at 0db (nominal level), chances are that you are gonna go over the maximum level and cause distortion, messing up your recording...

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Originally posted by shandobass:

The reason for the question, how much benefit to upgrade from 9 volt to 18 volt on EMG pick-ups?

Apparently lots! I'm going to do the mod on my EMGs once my Aguilar preamp arrives. Mark Gollihur did have a webpage explaining how to do this and what benefits it brings but it appears to have vanished! (Bob, can you ask him where it's gone?) IIRC he said that the EMGs gain a cleaner top end, bigger bottom and greater dynamic range from running on 18V. When I've done the mod myself I'll post a review.

Alex

As to the mod from 9v to 18v, you may find the results depend on your amp's ability to deal with it. I have an old piece of junk that doesn't have a low-impedence/active jack. Whether I run 9 or 18 makes no difference.

Headroom: how much space is under your hat.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Headroom? All that space between Capasso's ears. :eek::D

That's where I left that business card !!!!

Thanks for reminding me !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived