Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acme B2 II

shandobass

Acme B2 II

Demeter Preamp with Stewart 2.1 Power Amp.

400W x 2@ 8 ohms

650W x 2@ 4 ohms

1350W x 1@ 8 ohms

2100W x 1@ 4 ohms.

Is 650 per cabinet @ 4 ohms enough to get the full sound I keep hearing about. I thinking about a 2x10 because at 55, it isn't getting any easier. It will replace SWR II Junior @ 250. I'm keeping my 1x15 as well. Or replace SWR drivers with new Eminece Delta Lights (7 oz. magnet) each speaker can handle 300W.

I

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by shandobass:

Is 650 per cabinet @ 4 ohms enough to get the full sound I keep hearing about... I'm keeping my 1x15 as well.

650W per cab should be fine. You might like to consider replacing your 1x15" as well with another B2 - I think you'll be amazed how much more bottom an Acme 2x10" has than almost any 15" bass cab. If you get a pair of Acmes you could get two 8 ohm cabs and bridge the amp into them giving 1050W each - serious headroom!

Alex

650W into a 4-ohm B2 cab would be tasty. If you go that route, I'd consider what Alex suggested about dumping the 1x15 and going w/ two B2s.

I have considered Eminence DeltaLites for my SWR Super Redhead. They would certainly shave some weight off your Goliath Jr. and increase its power handling to 600W @ 4 ohms. This would be a viable option also, I think. The Goliath Jr. II is a nice cab (ports in the back, right?).

I think going either way will make you happy.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I have considered Eminence DeltaLites for my SWR Super Redhead. They would certainly shave some weight off your Goliath Jr. and increase its power handling to 600W @ 4 ohms.

I'd be wary of changing any speakers without ensuring that the T/S parameters of the old and new speakers are the same, or at least very similar.

Alex

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

I'd be wary of changing any speakers without ensuring that the T/S parameters of the old and new speakers are the same, or at least very similar.

Alex

I agree completely w/ Alex on this. There's free speaker cab modeling shareware available on the web to help you figure that out. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Peace.

spreadluv

Originally posted by earljam:

Regarding the tone of the B-2's, do they have to be played loud to sound good?

My understanding is that it's not so much that they need to be played loud (although that helps), as that the Acme cabs are not very efficient -- having lower SPL than many others, and thus require more wattage to achieve similar volume levels.

But remember, bass brethren, loud bass is always good! Thunder, baby, thunder! :D:evil:;)

spreadluv

Originally posted by earljam:

Regarding the tone of the B-2's, do they have to be played loud to sound good?

They sound great at any volume, from practicing at home to gigs with loud bands. If you don't need to go LOUD then you won't need as much power as everyone says (I've heard of people using Acmes with less than 200W for jazz gigs), but if you want to play loud rock gigs etc you'll need 500W+ per cab.

Alex

Originally posted by shandobass:

Acme B2 II

Demeter Preamp with Stewart 2.1 Power Amp.

400W x 2@ 8 ohms

650W x 2@ 4 ohms

1350W x 1@ 8 ohms

2100W x 1@ 4 ohms.

Is 650 per cabinet @ 4 ohms enough to get the full sound I keep hearing about. I thinking about a 2x10 because at 55, it isn't getting any easier. It will replace SWR II Junior @ 250. I'm keeping my 1x15 as well. Or replace SWR drivers with new Eminece Delta Lights (7 oz. magnet) each speaker can handle 300W.

I

Nice rig... actually, that's MY RIG! I have a pair of 4-ohm B-2's behind my Demeter VTBP-201S and a Stewart World 2.1. You won't be disappointed. Dump the 15" speaker for a second Acme cabinet.

I agree completely w/ Alex on this. There's free speaker cab modeling shareware available on the web to help you figure that out. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

If anyone knows where the shareware is, it would really help.

Thank's for all the suggestions.

Archived