Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Bass Line

4strings

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2 that I always think of right away are Wilton Felder on the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" and Bob Babbitt on "Midnight Train to Georgia."

Then of course there's "Bernadette", "Lovely Rita", "Express Yourself", "What's Goin' On", "What Is and What Should Never Be", "Papa Was a Rolling Stone"...........

Ah, nice marmot.

I know you guys are voting for the master bassers of the yesteryears...but c'mon...I'm giving a shout to a great bassist known as matt freeman form RANCID...he's insaneley good! his best bass line is "maxwell murders"!! he's solo is sick!!
Got bass?

I second the matt freedman one, i own a copy of that album and if im ever bored i just put it on and try to figure out the solo, i think after two years of trying i've got two notes. The first time i heard it it made me glad to be a bass player cos i can just play this and give the finger to guitar solos everywhere.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Go easy on them Meccajay.

I have been thinking about Chuck Rainey's bassline to "'Til You Come Back to Me" and Anthony Jackson's bassline in "Dedicated to You". And I think it's Doug Wimbush playing "White Lines" by Melle Mel (?).

OK, last one. A friend of mine stopped by today and bought this song up. David Hungate's playing on Common Thread's "I Can't Tell You Why" - insanely understated, it will make you cry.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

"Kiss" by Prince

:D
I'll second that. How about Prince's "Sexy MF"? There was a band in New Brunswick, NJ, they went by "Velour," while I was an undergraduate that used to cover Prince, Stevie Wonder, etc. They would rip into Sexy MF and the places would go nuts. The bass player was off-the-hook.

Oh, 25 cent drafts, college girls, and good tunes... and people wonder why I miss college so!

Oh come on now, Everyone knows that the greatest bassline ever written is the one on "Turn me Loose" by Loverboy! ;):D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

You mean I can only pick one?

How about best painting?

The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci

best symphony?

Eroica by Beethoven

best opera?

Don Giovanni by Mozart

best sculpture?

The Thinker by Rodin

best ballet?

The Rite of Spring, music Stravinsky, choreography Nijinsky

best movie?

Casablanca

best book?

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

best desert?

The Gobi desert

best mountain?

Mt Kilaminjaro

best canyon?

The Grand Canyon

best river?

The Amazon

best car?

Lamborghini

best king?

Richard the Lionhearted

best prophet?

Elijah

best war?

The War of the Roses (I just like the name)

and for the obligatory bass content:

Best Bassline:

Sing a Simple Song.....played by Larry Graham with Sly and the Family Stone

Originally posted by jeremyc:

best car?

Lamborghini

No way! The '81 Honda Civic Hatchback is the best car ever made. Lamborghinis require to much maintenance. And have you ever tried to get an upright or a SVT cabinet in a Lamborghini?

Originally posted by jeremyc:

How about best painting?

The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci

Oh, how cliche! For shame, Jeremy!

Best Bassline:

Sing a Simple Song.....played by Larry Graham with Sly and the Family Stone

Okay, way to redeem yourself. I love these threads, since they always get me thinking about wonderful basslines that just make you smile.

How about a random one? For a nice rock line, Stone Temple Pilot's "Interstate Love Song." A couple of Jersey boys keeping it real!

Well All Right!

Jeremy, ya did an okay job there. But I'd have to say the Isaiah was better in the prophet department (Of course, my opinion might be colored by my own religious heritage!)

You almost got the symphony right...not number 3, but number 5. I know it's cliche, but only because it is the most concise and exciting example of the symphonic form.

I must agree, Casablanca is the greatest movie ever.

I was playing Bass in France, and got the chance to visit the Louvre. We had to do the Louvre in only TWO HOURS! We literally ran through hundreds of thousands of masterpieces to the room where Mona Lisa is kept. Sped past 4000 years of art history.

And it makes me realize...yeah...the Mona Lisa may be the greatest painting...but what an incredible painful world would it be if that palace ONLY displayed one painting.

By the way...best bass line...how about left field:

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes, Paul Simon, played by Bakithi Kumalo

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Aw, come on - nobody said Side 1 of Jaco Pastorius? My vote goes for "Kuru/Speak Like A Child." Or is that my vote for best better-eat-your-Wheaties-before-you-play-this-figure-for six-solid-minutes bassline?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

"Kiss" by Prince

:D
I got it. I got it. I got it. That's what I meant by using the " :D " in my earlier post.

And I want credit, Bump, dammit! :mad:

And yes, I remember that joke being up on the board for a prior thread.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

"Kiss" by Prince

You see... no one got the joke that I "borrowed" from someone; that song has no bassline.

These threads are pretty pointless.

Bump, I was actually aware of that and even got a kick out of one of the responses that was in agreement. Earlier this year I had to learn Kiss for a wedding band that I play in. Wille got it as well, the reason for his "graemlin only" response.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

"Kiss" by Prince

You see... no one got the joke that I "borrowed" from someone; that song has no bassline.

Act your age, Bump

Not your shoe size

I got it too man! :P

Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

"Kiss" by Prince

Bump, I was actually aware of that and even got a kick out of one of the responses that was in agreement. Earlier this year I had to learn Kiss for a wedding band that I play in. Wille got it as well, the reason for his "graemlin only" response.

Wally

Doh! That was me... hey, you have to admit, you can dance to it... well, at least at a wedding... with a drink or two... and a bridesmaid... and maybe a donkey... anyhow, I digress...

mmm...I don't know about what you think of this guy...but damn he is good!!! Who am I talking about? well...ty zamora from Alien ant farm...He's best bassline..from my opinion is "death day" from there first CD...it's a slow, melodic song with a very technical bassline....
Got bass?

Archived