Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Lull and DiMarzio

xhawk4

Hi all fellow Lull bass lovers. My 1998 M4 arrived last week and I absolutely love it. THE best bass I've ever played. My Lakland is a close 2nd. Forget Fender! Never again.

Anyway, the Lull vintage pups that are stock on the bass buzz like crazy anywhere near a computer. I recently bought a new set of DiMarzio DP149BK Ultra Jazz pups and I'm thinking of replacing the vintage ones(the electronic cavity is so perfect, hate to touch it).

Anyone ever try the DiMarzio's? Can you give me any info before I start soldering? They are humbucking.

Thank you, your input is greatly valued and appreciated.

Hawk :D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd talk to Mike Lull himself before you heat up that soldering gun.

My Mike Lull bass (with Lindy Fralin pickups) will buzz in front of the computer..unless I have both pickups turned up equally, thereby getting the humbucking function working.

Any bass will buzz in front of my computer.

I don't do a lot of gigs in front of my computer. :D

Normally, as on any jazz bass style bass, I have both pickups turned all the way up.

The bass sounds great on stage and in the studio. What more could you ask? :confused:

Originally posted by xhawk4:

My 1998 M4 arrived last week and I absolutely love it. THE best bass I've ever played.

If you just got it last week and you're calling it the best bass you've ever played, I would recommend leaving it alone for a while and continuing to become acquainted.

Don't get trigger happy on that solder gun just yet. :D

Jeremy, faithful Lullite that he is, also made some good comments. Contact Mike about the bass and pickups, and pick his brain for ideas and info. My basses buzz around the computer, even with humcancelling pickups sometimes.

If you go to the DiMarzios (fine pickups they are), you will not have quite the same fullness of tone that true single coils give you. The bass will sound different. Will it remain the best?!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Notice how I stated that "your input is greatly valued and appreciated".

Well I ment input not remarks about the search botton and my computer gigs.

DCR, search resulted in no relation between Lull and Dimarzio.

And "in front of my computer", or in the same room, is where all my mp3 songs are stored, thus this is where I do most of my practicing on covers. Thanks.

I'll just whip out my trusty humbucking Lakland for my computer gigs and keep the Lull for the gigs thay pay money. :D

Anyone want to buy a soldering gun? :freak:

Well, I never dreamt the search would turn up something so specific as DiMarzio AND Lull. But there's plenty on DiMarzio & plenty on Lull, & the rest will be (GASP!) up to you. And did you not ask "Anyone ever try the DiMarzio's? Can you give me any info before I start soldering? They are humbucking"? I believe you did; and there's a ton on that out there already.

Drop the attitude. We're not your servants.

xhawk4...I think you have just managed to alienate dcr (aka...the only bloke I know on this forum who owns a set of DiMarzio Ultra Js).
Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Originally posted by NickT:

the only bloke I know on this forum who owns a set of DiMarzio Ultra Js.

Oh no, here you have one more. :D And I love them.

But should I get a Mike Lull bass, which is difficult because the only european dealer is in the Netherlands, I wouldn't change a single wire or sliver of it.

;)

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

Originally posted by Ninja:

But should I get a Mike Lull bass ... I wouldn't change a single wire or sliver of it.

;)

Sono d'accordo, Ninja. :thu: Senza dubbio: non cambiare neanche un pezzetto di un basso di Lull! :D

Originally posted by xhawk4:

I'll just whip out my trusty humbucking Lakland for my computer gigs and keep the Lull for the gigs thay pay money.

Sounds like a most righteous solution. :thu:

And remember, everyone was sincerely trying to help you out and not short-change you. :)

Peace,

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

***Mike Lull and DiMarzio update***, if you care....

I tried the DiMarzios and they couldn't even compare to the Lindy Vintage.

I did a little research and when I reinstalled the Lindys, I decided to set them at the same height. To my surprise, that helped alot. I also found out that setting the volume at equal levels canceled out all the hum but just a little bit. Probably most of you already knew that, but I'm learning every day. I've never really had any good, high-end equipment until recently.

Thanks for all your help, and sorry if I got a little needlessly insulted with a reply. :rolleyes:

I have to jump on the "replacing good pickups is silly" bandwagon. Add to that that modifying a classic bass whose sound you like is kinda dumb.

I find that if I play facing AWAY from the computer screen, I don't pick up much buzz (if any). The problem occurs when you turn the pickups toward the screen. I sit on an armless computer chair that rotates. Works great, and I haven't screwed up any of my instruments along the way.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Yeah, the point of buying a Lull, or other bass in its class, is that no upgrades should ever be necessary--it's ALL GOOD. For that matter, I wouldn't tamper with a Ric or MusicMan, & they're below that price-point/build level.

I've only replaced pickups once, in a $550 bass, with a DiMarzio set I got for a mere $60. Figured I couldn't go wrong. (And I didn't!)

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Actually, I did play a gig once in front of my computer.

OK, it was two songs that I played along to sequences that I had created on my computer. And I was twenty five feet in front of the computer using a wireless.

I didn't notice any buzzing. ;)

CRT monitors emit magnetic fields. Thats what LCD displays are for. And if you have a properly shielded computer case, you should have minimal hum. I had my computer specially built to reduce hum :D
\m/ Timothy Lyons

Archived