Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2x12?

Jeff Addicott

Hi, all!

So I've been doing the 2x10 thing forever, and I'm thinking maybe it's time for a change. The new 2x12s look like a lot of fun. (Avatar, Aguilar, Epifani, etc...)

What are your experiences with them? Do they leave 2x10s in the dust? Can they handle the dreaded low B? Are you set for life with your 2x12 or do you wish you had something else?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes use a 2 x 12 Bag End cabinet.

Its a very good sounding box with pronounced warm mids - warm bottom and smooth highs. This cab has no horn.

I have not tried it with a 5 string but I think this cab could handle the low B within a certain volume range.

I would not say it leaves a 2 x 10 in the dust -its just a different sound.

If I had to choose I would go with the 12's - they have the bottom end that I like to hear compared to the 10's.

www.danielprine.com

My Main Gigging cab is a SWR Goliath sr.

I've had a Eden 2-12xlt as a 2nd cab for a few years now...........

It does fine in most smaller rooms/clubs......

....but I still revel in the sheer power of the 6-10's.

:)

PJR

A well designed 2x12 (some are, some aren't), can have a sound that is in between the tightness of a 10" & the depth of a 15".

Another way to say it is, a little rounder than a 10" & a little punchier than a 15". No 2x12 will sound the same, so ya just have to test them out.

Hi Jeff, I've actually had the opposite experience. I have not played through 10's ( except for once when I got to play through a friends SVT & 2 8-10 rig!!! :eek: ) But for a few months I had a bi-amped rig that was 1x18 + 2x12 I really liked that sound and have been thinking of going back to it. Like evryone says, try it and decide!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

i have been considering running two avatar 2x12" instead of my 1x15" and 2x10" for an even and full sound. the 1x15" can be too boomy at times and the 2x10" is a little weal in the low end.

Its a BASS not a BASS Guitar!!!!!

Ibanez BTB405QM

Dean Edge Select Q5

Ibanez Roadstar II

Ibanez Roadstar

Ibanez Roadster (in pieces)

Carvin R1000

GK Cab/Carvin 15" sub

X Audio 2x10"

Dallas Music Industries X188

Archived