Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new orleans jazz

DigiVoices

i'm headed down to New Orleans next week on a business trip. since my presentation is only about 15 minutes long and in the middle of the day i am hoping that i can check out a few bands, clubs, street proformers, and whatever else is down there in my free time.

a friend told me the funky meters play there quite a bit. so perhaps i will get lucky and be able to catch one of their shows.

so to all the New Orleans natives .. what should i make sure i check out?

thanks for any advice

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi DigiVoices,

Here is the Meters tour page: http://www.funkymeters.com/tour.html

but it looks like they don't have anything scheduled locally next week.

What specific days/evenings will you be here, and I will check the local schedules.

And please tell me what you want to hear?:

Progressive Jazz

Dixieland Jazz

Blues

Cajun/Zydeco

Gospel

... Connie Z (Nu Awleeenian!)

P.S. Have you been to New Orleans before?

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

hey, thanks for the reply. i'll be flying in wednesday the 21st and leaving sunday 26th. as far as what kind of music i'm into ...

Progressive Jazz

Dixieland Jazz

Blues

Cajun/Zydeco (haven't heard much of this)

Dub

anything else that jams.

i've been to new orleans once probably about 15 yrs ago. to young to appriciate any of the night life. the only memory i have from that visit was the street musicians, which i loved, and a really good hamburger i got from a hole in the wall bar.

i can usually find merit in most music that i see live b/c i can see what the musicians are doing and the energy they put off. on cd i'm a little more picky. being in new orleans though i think i'd have to go with jazz, blues, or anything heavy on the bass :D

Originally posted by DigiVoices:

being in new orleans though i think i'd have to go with jazz, blues, or anything heavy on the bass :D

I have to go along with Connie Z's approach, though it's a darned shame that the Meters aren't in town - Second line and New Orleans funk is too much fun.

Hey, Connie Z - the last time I was in New Orleans (opening for the Meters at Tipitinas - a long time ago), George Porter was also doing dates outside the Meters; I seem to remember the George Porter All Stars listed in the local paper.

Who's playing down there that has the second line thing happening?

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

I was just in New Orleans for an orchestra trip. They told me you can look in the "Green Onion" I think it's called...for booked acts.

They also said you can catch Ellis Marsalis from time to time.

I went to a Resturant on St. George Street called Mychal's, pretty decent Cajun food, and a real old timey Cajun band called the "Hot Sauce Band" that I though was pretty cool...not hot jazz, but working musicians!

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

On the evening that you come into town, George Porter, Jr. is playing at The Maple Leaf Bar. (here is a link to the schedule of The Maple Leaf)

He plays with a drummer named Johnny Vidacovich, who is very well known around here.

http://www.offbeat.com/cgi-bin/listings/listings.pl?Club&&Maple Leaf Bar

Here is George's schedule: (note that he says that he plays at all of the Johnny Vidacovich gigs at the Maple Leaf, but you may want to call them to verify)

George Porter, Jr. show dates

Here is a link to the local music magazine which is full of information:

Offbeat Magazine Web Site

Another Great Club where you can eat and then listen to great music in an intimate setting and not be gouged the "tourist" prices for everything. Snug Harbor:

Snug Harbor

I shall keep looking and I'll post some more...

... Connie Z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Originally posted by Connie Z:

On the evening that you come into town, George Porter, Jr. is playing at The Maple Leaf Bar.

No kidding, DigiVoices - check out George Porter. In many ways, he's as important at Jamerson and Duck Dunn as far as developing the vocabulary of R&B bass.

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

• 1 month later...

Argh... please tell me you went to The Famous Door and saw The Dream Band play. Their arrangments are a little white-bread sometimes, but they are damn fine players. I remember seeing this thread when it first popped up and thinking that I needed to suggest that place.

Oh well, even if you didn't, I'm sure you had a good time. It's hard to not have a good time in New Orleans. :thu:

You must go to the source, young grasshopper. You must go to Preservation Hall to hear the band. If you want to hear the music that started it all, you must go to Preservation Hall. American popular music's journey up the Mississippi and into history begins in New Orleans, and Preservation Hall starts you at the beginning.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by earljam:

Glad to see Mr. Porter get recognized, even if its not on the favorite bass player thread. where were you guys?

The band I subbed with on Wednesday did Patti LaBelle's Lady Marmalade; The Meters were the rhythm section on that recording, and while I was charting it that afternoon (while driving down the interstate to Bowling Green, Kentucky), I was reminded again of how good a player George Porter is.

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

Archived