Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hello ... jambands ... and first songs played

DigiVoices

first of all, hello ... good to be here!

i've been reading this forum for a little while and thought i would sign up, as i have gotten some good insight for some of the topics.

i've noticed a lot of talk goes to RHCP, the knigs of funk, and of course bass greats.

are there any jamband fans out there? what does everyone think of the jamband scene and the bassist's in the scene? i'm a big fan of the disco biscuits, sts9, lotus, moe and a lot of others, i tend to like more of the electronic stuff.

also what's the first bass lines you learned and do you still play them?

smoke on the water - never play it anymore

three days by janes addiction - play it every now and then mostly b/c other people recognize it.

that got a little long for my first post. thanks for reading

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First bassline was generic I-IV-V blues progression in blues chord with shuffle rhythm. I use this ALL the time with my bandmembers; they LOVE to jam along and we can do this for hours (or so it seems). Of course, this fits into zillions of blues tunes, too.

First song bassline was Sting/The Police's "Roxanne". I don't "use" this much, unless we're playing this song.

Currently working on Traffic's "Low Spark of High Heel Boys" - VERY recognizable bassline there.

C.V.: Snowboarder (1983-), Bass Owner (1996-), Chemistry Teacher (1997-) & Serious Bass Student (2003-)

Welcome !!

The first line I learned was that boogie walk thing, which I still use. The first line from a song? Too far back to remember - maybe "Born To Be Wild"? I have used it's "flavor" in other lines...

As to jam bands, I'm not that familiar with them. I had a friend that's into Phish, and I didn't care for it. Guess I'm a snob - I only enjoy jams when I'm the bass player!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Digivoices...

Welcome.

At the risk of saying something unpopular, I'll start off like the asshole I am. I hate jam bands/hippie bands/The Grateful Dead/Phish/etc. Can't stand the meandering, trippy soloing or the pachouli/dirty smell of the crowd. Nothing personal, really -- these things just irk me.

However, I will say this: The bassists in these bands are usually SLAMMIN across the board. I just wish they'd play for different bands.

OK...First bass line... I can't believe nobody else mentioned it: the theme from Peter Gunn. I still use it (or variations of it) today. It's SO flexible.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The theme from Peter Gunn was the 1st bass line I ever learned too, but I originally thought of it as the theme from Spy Hunter . Ahhh the ignorance.

Welcome to the forum. The very first thing I figured out was the opening to 2112 overture.

Hey you managed to avoid the flames. Good Job!! :thu:

I don't know anything about the jam band scene sorry. Sounds cool though.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

I've got mixed opinions about the jamband scene.

I'm not a big fan of Phish. I find their group improvs to be meandering and pointless...although still scores better than the Dead's awful jamming was.

But I like that some really great groups on the fringes of the scene get some attention. MMW is great (although their superstardom has gone to their heads a bit, their new albums aren't nearly as compelling as their old ones), the Aquarium Rescue Unit are scary, and Lettuce are frighting.

There's tons of others. I'm not so big on the Jam crowd, but there's some really interesting stuff happening in that scene...which is more than I can say for the radio these days.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I do kinda like jam bands. No one particular comes to mind. If it's good, I'm into it.

I think the first bassline I nailed solid, oh so many years ago, was "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and the Drells. I do loves da funk!

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Coming from a funk (da real funk) background, the first bassline I learned was "Slide" by a band called 'Slave'! Very simple line. My first real complete bassline I learned was...the bassline to "Your My First, My Last, My Everything" by Barry White. This was all way back in the mid 70's! There was a lot of Larry Graham and Louis Johnson basslines to be had back then too! I learned them all. In my neighborhood, all the bands wanted me to be in 'cause I knew everything!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

I like bread and butter,

I like toast and jam,

That's what my baby feeds me,

I'm her loving man.

In terms of improvising, I'm more of a fan of jazz groups than jam bands.

But everything has its place and I'm glad that there are bands out there who are playing music and not trying to produce "product".

Originally posted by fig:

I think the first bassline I nailed solid, oh so many years ago, was "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and the Drells. I do loves da funk!

Yep, I remember learning that one too! Ahh, the old days!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

I was in a jam band, it was fun for about 2 hours, then I quit. the bassists in jame bands are about real talent, of course you would obviously et better if you were the only on holding down 4 other guys tripping on stuff.... anyway

My first bass line was Plush from STP. still a great bass line.

you can make stumbling blocks, or stepping stones out of the same things, what have you built?

BIG jam band fan here!

Phish, Dead, String Cheese, Moe, Umphreys McGee, Les Claypool, Deep Banana Blackout, Bombsquad and DMB (yes..they arent a "jamband" but they do jam out a lot).

If your interested, take a look at my etree, I trade a lot. (etree.org/idnarb)

First thing I ever learned that sounded like something was the "Money" riff. First full song was "Crush." Granted, I only started playing last November ;)

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Other good jazz-turned-jambands:

Soulive

Galactic

Groove Collective (they've been doing it for years before the jam thing started happening)

Lettuce (just thought I'd mention them again because I love 'em so...Eric Coomes is a muthafunka from beyond).

idnarb: "Money" was the first bassline I learned too! You'll have a leg up on negotiating odd-time signatures after working that line for awhile.

When you get brave, try tackling Guy Pratt's bass solo on "Money" from "The Delicate Sound of Thunder". Smokin... :thu:

Soulive and Galactic are amazing. Actually, Soulive is playing in NYC in the upcoming weeks. If your interested, their dates are available on jambase.com

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Other good jazz-turned-jambands:

Soulive

Galactic

Groove Collective (they've been doing it for years before the jam thing started happening)

Lettuce (just thought I'd mention them again because I love 'em so...Eric Coomes is a muthafunka from beyond).

idnarb: "Money" was the first bassline I learned too! You'll have a leg up on negotiating odd-time signatures after working that line for awhile.

When you get brave, try tackling Guy Pratt's bass solo on "Money" from "The Delicate Sound of Thunder". Smokin... :thu:

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

never been a huge fan of jam bands. i have a lot of respect for phish due to their talent and and commitment, i was just never into patchouli music.

as far as "first bass line i ever learned" it was every breath you take. i learned it for a cover band full of people just starting out and it was the only thing we could play. as for wether i still use it now, well there are MUCH better police tunes to cover.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

BIG jam band fan here!

good to hear, soulive is good. i've never seen them live but i would love to if they come down my way. other jambands that are worth checking out

brothers past

the new deal - live progressive house

ben harper and the innocent criminals - not really a jamband but when they do jam ... damn, juan nelson brings the funk!

thats about all i can think of at this point.

also i think it's unfair to lump all the bands in the jamband scene and their audience as patchouli wearing hippies. hippies don't bother me, but i'm not about to stop showering and grow dreads

money is a great bass line, that was one of the first ones that i learned as well. i really like "one of these days" off meddle too. i wish that song was longer.

Originally posted by  :

Widespread Panic; Dave Schools rools! When given the chance. Great on the Gov't Mule DEEP END bonus discs too...

'zat you, Greenboy?

I think by first real bassline was "Big Me" by Foo. Corny, Bouncy, Catchy.

Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by DigiVoices:

... damn, juan nelson brings the funk!

No doubt.

I'm not a really a jamband listener, but really dug the Phish show I saw at a small club in Providence, RI (over ten years ago!). I'd actually like to listen to some more.

Oh, Mr. Loy, great call on Groove Collective. Definitely jammerific.

As for my first bassline...it was "Portrait of Tracy" ... and then I woke up. I don't really remember my first line learned, but among my first were "Walking on the Moon," "Roxanne," and "Message in a Bottle" by the Police, "Good Times Bad Times" and "The Ocean" by Led Zep, and "Money" by Pink Floyd. Yup, all learned off cassette, with constant rewinding. Really took a toll on the heads...

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Until I read this I'd never even heard the term 'Jam Band'. From the descriptions here it sounds similar to some of the 60's prog rock improv bands, (very early Pink Floyd etc)??

Time to go listen I guess.

First bass line? Apart from a standard 1-IV-V progression, it would be Neil Young's 'Cinnamon Girl'. No reason, I just like it.

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

also i think it's unfair to lump all the bands in the jamband scene and their audience as patchouli wearing hippies. hippies don't bother me, but i'm not about to stop showering and grow dreads
DigiVoices... No offense meant. I'm just making a generalization based on my observations and experiences of the "jam-band" scene. Believe it or not, I used to hang with a lot of people who lived that life, and while not ALL of the crowd consisted of smelly, pachouli-wearing, tie-dyed hippies, the overwhelming majority of folks fit that description. Yeah, there were other types hanging around, but they were definitely overshadowed by the "stinky hippie" element.

The whole scene bugs the shit out of me...

I hate Devil Sticks, Hackey Sacks, tie-dyes, hemp clothing, Birkenstocks and VW Buses.

I hate hearing the word "kind" used so often.

And I don't like the music much, either.

Like I said, nothing personal, and I mean no offense. I just really don't like that scene at all.

BTW, I have dreads, but I'm not a hippie by any means.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Oh yeah... well... Tom says you're funny-lookin'.

Nyah.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

I'm not a big fan of jam bands, though one of my favorite bands, Blues Traveller, is prone to some good jamming in concert, and I like it a lot. Phish and the Grateful Dead and some of the others mentioned here just aren't my cup of tea.

As for my first bass line? I think it was Sweet Home Alabama, and shortly thereafter the guitarist made me learn the bassline to Summer Song by Joe Satriani. Boy, that was quite a task. I had to leave out a few notes here and there, but for the most part, I'm still proud of how well I managed to play it. :)

The first bass line that I learned was Led Zeppelin's Black Dog. A little challenging for the beginning bassist, I must say. I just wish my bass teacher would've thrown in some Jaco, Claypool, or Clarke every once in a while.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

How does one identify whether a band is a "jam band"? Twenty five years ago when I was just learning to play my friends and I used to do what we called "weird jamming". We were influenced greatly by bands like Oregon,Eberhard Weber,John Abercrombie,Terje Rypdal. These artists were on ECM records. We made it a point to play outside the box to see if we could actually create listenable music. We would just start playing without any verbalization beforehand about keys,feel,etc..The beauty was when we all locked together,it's kind of hard to explain,it's not "oh,I hear what riff he's playing, let me play it too" it was when we would play things together instantly. We continue to do this today,same guys,although maybe only once or twice a year. Several years ago I picked up a magazine article about Phish just when they were getting popular and the guys in the band talked about their experience of sponteneous communication and how magical and spiritual it was. I was intrigued because I thought they were doing something that we had been doing for years and becoming popular. I went out and bought their live album and was dissapointed because all I heard was a normal song with a long solo section in the same key and groove. Every jam band I've heard since,and I've heard many,strikes me in that way. I guess I just thought jam bands were different based on how the Phish guys expressed it. I guess Cream and the Allman Brothers were the first(and best ;) ) jam bands.

First bass line: Johnny B. Goode

Second bass line: Whipping Post

Archived