Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Got Standing in the Shadows...

chamers

Had to share this one :D

Just got back from work and sitting there waiting for me at home was my copy of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown delivered from those nice folks at CD_WOW !

Popped it into my PC and the second DVD of the two disc set comes with the .wav files for a couple of the songs and a cut down copy of Sonic Foundry ACID so you can "remix" them!

Which would of course be heresy.... ;) What a cool toy though!

Playing open strings with one fist in the air http://www.garageband.com/artist/Geller

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure how the suppliers I got it from got hold of it so soon, they seem to be based in hong-kong and a lot of their DVD's seem to arrive with labels saying 'not for export outside of hong-kong', sure it all must be above board though......

watched the film for the first time last night (hadn't seen it before because I'm in the UK) it's really nicely done and add's a whole new dimension to the book!

Still would have been nice to have more about James Jamerson though! Pretty inspiring to listen to the Funk Brothers talking.... feel the need to practice A LOT ;)

Playing open strings with one fist in the air http://www.garageband.com/artist/Geller

And that is why I want to get a region-free DVD player (or "hack" my current one)

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

• 1 month later...

I saw Standing in the Shadows.. recently and it really made me nostalgic fom the music that came from that era.

I don't know if it's because of middle age, a longing to return to my youth or the fact that the bass played such an interesting and prominent role in the songs we heard every day on the radio.

Music was so full of energy, passion, beautiful vocals and harmonic content.

Some of my favorite songs from the 60's and 70's:

Bernadette, What's Going On?, Didn't I Blow Your Mind?... and so on.

Well, I got the VHS tape at WalMart 2 days ago for 12 bucks.

I watched it half the night...'til I fell asleep.

It's an engaging flick...I am taking a group of HS kids to Austin tomorrow and it's the first tape going into the charter's machine.

What is absolutely incredible to me is the tone of the bass on this VHS tape...present, punchy, powerful. Just through my TV speakers, it sounded better than most videotape I've watched.

Great Stories too.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived