Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learning to read treble clef

Ryan Griffith

I was talking with faculty at my college, and he mentioned that his bass playing son's teachers had him reading flute music & such in order to become fluent in trble clef.

What would some of you recommend for a non-treble reader? I can read a little of that clef for piano, but I was hoping to get some recommendations on solo instrumental methods or studies that wouldn't be too tough for me to tackle.

Thanks for any help here!

Regards,

~Griff

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something I have been doing recently to improve my treble clef reading is playing melodies of jazz standards out of a fake book. It might be easier place to start than violin or flute etudes, especially if you already know some of the tunes.

Originally posted by Travis Harms:

Something I have been doing recently to improve my treble clef reading is playing melodies of jazz standards out of a fake book. It might be easier place to start than violin or flute etudes, especially if you already know some of the tunes.

I've done this also. It works reasonably well, but I also grew up playing piano and trumpet so I didn't really need to "learn" how to read treble clef; I just needed to keep my treble clef reading skills sharp. Plus I've found knowing the melody makes it a little easier to solo (something I'm not particularly fond of doing) and, more importantly, a little easier to follow the soloists and know where they are.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Sweet Willie and Travis both mentioned reading the melodies in the Real Book. This is wonderful advice and will help you in many ways. You will practice your reading, you will learn the songs better, and if you want to play the head, you'll be able to.

And guitar book would be fine. Clarinet books are good too, because the lowest note on a clarinet is a low E, below the staff and the normal high note is high G an octave above the top of the staff, so the written range would be similar. There are millions of clarinet books. I like the Rose or the Klose' studies (I was a clarinetist in a previous life).

I was going to suggest learning piano. I don't play, but my guess is that learning to read both clefs at once would be the most solid experience.

Standards and other book suggestions sound good.

I play recorder using some church music. It isn't the most challenging, but I can use it in my Christian theatre group...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived