Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dude, I have my own sound....

Chest Rockwell

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

[Ok, serious mode on then]

I've had several people tell me I sound unique.. like no other bass player they've heard.

I have always shot for this and, lately, hearing these words, I feel a sense of accomplishment.

I'm really curious now - do you have any clips of 'your sound'? Would you say you sound unique? How would you describle your sound?

Alex

A lot of it is in my approach to my instrument as well as my use of effects and the instruments I use. I recently accquired a Fender Bass VI and it definitely facillitates an original pallette for musical innovation. Again. mainly, its my mindset as a composer. About 10 years ago I swore off all idolitry and really concentrated on my musical voice in the world.

I lost my entire hard drive a while back so I don't have any mp3 clips of anything at the moment. I have to re-purchase an encoder and get to work really soon. I'll post something in the near future. Sorry about that.

About 10 years ago I swore off all idolitry and really concentrated on my musical voice in the world.

Before any beginners take that last statement to heart, how long had you been playing for then and do you feel that by that point you were already a competent (i.e. good sound and feel) bass player?

Alex

Yes I had been playing a good while and was "professional rate" when I made that decision. I know what your getting at though about the beginning players and I will assert myself now and say that idolitry is for kids and losers. By default, beginners are going to emulate or use experienced musicians playing to build a foundation for learning. Fine. Once that is achieved, you've got to move on with your own ideas or you're nothing but a clone.

I myself have been playing for years, but have never thought that swearing off your influences was such an amazing thing. If anything, it really shows some denial as to how one develops as a player. I do feel that I have my own voice as a musician (I play bass, guitar, some drums and I mess with the keys), but I'm never afraid to tell anyone my influences. IT HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE. :)

I'm willing to bet if anyone hears Chest live, that some influences can be picked out. I mean, even I can pick out some of Les Claypool's influences without asking him. He certainly has a unique way of playing, though.

I myself have been playing for years, but have never thought that swearing off your influences was such an amazing thing. If anything, it really shows some denial as to how one develops as a player
I'm not swearing off my influences. Where did I say that?

Can you read? I said I though it was important to follow your influences to build a foundation of understaning. There- I said it again-got that?

I'm never afraid to tell anyone my influences. IT HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE
Me neither.

Paul McCatney

Mick Karn

Miles Davis

Thelonious Monk

There. Happy? That's not what this discussion was about, however. Its about finding yourself.

Lets not have a pissing match here please. If you can't understand where I'm comming from at this point, just go away. :thu: Thanks in advance.

Sounds like Chest's head is in the right place.

I never meant to talk about guys like you, Chest...you seem to already have a handle on what musicianship is about...

My venom in my thread was directed towards guys who use "my sound" as an excuse for selfish ensemble playing and/or not practicing.

I'm not swearing off my influences. Where did I say that?

Can you read? I said I though it was important to follow your influences to build a foundation of understaning. There- I said it again-got that?

Yes, I can read, thank you very much. I read lots of stuff during the day, including stuff that would put the average person to sleep (like the huge calculus and operating systems books for my Comp Sci classes), so please forgive my slight ignorance. I didn't mean any ill will by my comment.

Lets not have a pissing match here please. If you can't understand where I'm comming from at this point, just go away. :thu: Thanks in advance.

Understood. Just trying to clarify my point.

:cool:

Just a thought.. not trying to insult.

Besides we have to find our own sound, how do we market it or in other sentence.. how famous we are.. how many albums have we made and make it to top 100 or magazines..

Until then we can say that we have found our sound and everybody/a niche will agree.

Nice work if you can get it.

For me, I'm still trying to approach clone status. I'm still "sub-"clone. Oh well...more work to do.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived