Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rules of thumb

Bartolini

I learned this at Gary Willis's page.

Since I learned on the following to understand how action of the bass works relevant to the neck,

I thought of sharing with you.(may be very few who didn't know about it).

1.If after lowering the strings, the notes buzz

only above the 12th fret, then there's too much bow in the neck. You'll need to tighten the truss rod.

2.If after you lower the strings, the notes only buzz in the 1st 5 frets then your neck is too straight. You'll need to loosen the truss rod.

3.If after you lower the strings, the notes buzz all up and down the neck, the neck's fine. Your strings are just too low.

Have I been too ignorant not to have not known about this all this time? :rolleyes:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you brought it to everyones attention. I had read that in his website about a year ago, and it was incredibly helpful to have a quick way to figure where you're at when adjusting the neck and string height.

And I'd like to add another rule of thumb. Never eat anything bigger than your head. Learn it, live it.

Now where's my medication?......

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Since we're talking about the truss rod and buzzin frets and all that jazz i have a quick question. My bass's E and sometimes A strings buzz around the first 5 frets. Its mainly just the E string. From what i got from the post up yonder i need to tighten it. Is that the correct thing to do?
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

You'll need to loosen it, penguinsarebirds. One thing about the truss rod also on the site, don't turn it more than half a turn per day, as the wood needs to "settle" into the new shape..A quarter turn is a better idea.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Thanks soundcrafter. Its a cheap bass (squier Pbass) but i like it. plus i havent had money to get a new one. I was thinking of maybe just getting the best pu i can and maybe a great bridge. I dont know people talk bad about squiers but i like the way it feels and stuff so i'm keepin it. I may buy a new one but wont sell the squier.
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Archived