Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P-Bass Pickups

xhawk4

Hey all. I've been looking for a thread about P-Bass style pickups and haven't found any yet. I need some opinions on different P-Style passive pickups. I think the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders are the best for fat, punchy finger-style tone. Are they better than Bartolini? Or DiMarzio?

Hawk :P

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats funny is i was about to start a topic asking the same thing yesterday but instead I chose to study for part of an AP European History test (we had the privelige of writting 2 essays in class today) so i too would like know youre opinions.
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Originally posted by Penguinsarebirds:

Whats funny is i was about to start a topic asking the same thing yesterday but instead I chose to study for part of an AP European History test (we had the privelige of writting 2 essays in class today) so i too would like know youre opinions.

Ooooh, hijack time. That exams sucks, man. I took it last year, and I barely had time to finish it. Do the essays first, man...you can always speed through the multiple choice section.

I have the Quarter pounders in my P copy. They sound good, but, I slapped some Rio Grande Muy Grandes in my Ibanez and they sounded 10 times better than the Duncans. They were hotter and had amazing clarity. Check them out. Their address is www.riograndepickups.com

Well worth it, and they're hand-wound.

i love my bartolini P pickup. i can get an incredible scooped-EQ sound with it, and i can get the fender tone by boosting 400Hz-500Hz by about 4dB. it's a really versatile pickups. i've also gotten some great, punchy, almost MM-like tones from it by boosting a little 1.5kHz.

robb.

Patrick luckily it wasnt the big exam over everything (yet) but just a test over a bunch of stuff. I talked to my teacher today (he's so cool, just like an older, wiser, friend) and he said we all did terrible on the essays. No A's very few B's and he was so depressed after grading them that he turned on the tv and watched "Married by America" (If you knew my teacher you would know how bad they must be)

Thursday we get 100 questions. fun.... not

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Sure thing hawk just a little venting (at least I didnt go into detail about the 2 essays i wrote) :thu:

Post more ideas on replacements, guys. I'm seriously considering buying a POS Fender P-bass to play in that Grunge band. I played about 10 different basses under $400 yesterday and Guitar Nazi...err.. Center has one of the low end model P-basses for $384. Played alright, sounded pretty good (well, really good for a frickin' $400 bass).. I'm thinking that I might want to just replace the pickups straight away on it.

Oh, some of you may be wondering why I want to do this. I'll tell ya!!! I want a POS bass that I can beat the living hell out of when doing the Grunge band gig. I don't want to worry about hurting any of my Lull basses when I'm flailing around like an idiot playing "Outshined". :D

I'll show you the power, child.

I have an EMG P-type pickup in my Warwick and it sounds huge and tight - more top and bottom than a normal P-pickup but still that great growl that gets you heard. I have active tone controls on my bass but I rarely need to EQ it, so you'd be fine with the passive tone on the Fender. You will of course need to fit a battery in, if you want to go down the EMG route. (Other big bonus of EMGs is that they're very good at noise rejection and the somewhat compressed sound records beautifully.)

Alex

Archived