Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bassists that you respect

Cuahtemoc

Just to initially clarify, this isnt a thread about who are the best bass players in existence, who can play faster, whatever. Which bass players do you respect, and why? Personally:

Timmy C, RATM: His ability to lay down a solid groove and make a sound thats distinctly his on every track

Les Claypool, Primus, etc: His technical ability and once again the ability to create a rock solid groove that you can immediately identify

Flea, RHCP: Not afraid to go in new directions with his playing; plus his awesome live performances

Juan Nelson, Ben Harper: I really dig this guys groove

Aston Barret, Bob Marleyt: Rock solid smooth reggae grooves.

What about you guys?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

id have to say.......

Mingus,he fits every song

Jamerson, who grooves better while backing up a big band

im gonna name bands that ive heard that just stick out cos i dont know their names

SANTANA, that guy kicks ass

ZERO 7, that guy is soo smooth

yeah to second, RATM.....what a guy

less is more

There's many, but for starters:

John Pattitucci

Kim Stone

Any of the bassists that worked on Steely Dan Projects...

Pretty much the same reason(s) for all of the above - Strong, solid, creative parts, in a variety of styles and feel.

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I find myself respecting just about every bassist of every album I own, from Abba and AC/DC through to Frank Zappa and ZZ Top, and many more besides. However, although I respect their ability to lay down the groove, hold down the bottom, or just make the guitars sound bigger, they don't necessarily inspire me but I really respect the way they "just play bass!". Bassists who inspire me include:

Bootsy Collins, Stanley Clarke, Paul Chambers, Larry Graham, Paul Jackson, John Paul Jones, George Porter, Charles Mingus, Mike Watt, Rex Brown, Jaco Pastorius, Ray Brown, Sting, Les Claypool, Tim Commerford, Flea, Cass Lewis, Chuck Rainey, Justin Chancellor, Victor Wooten.

Of those, the most important to me are probably:

For emotion and energy: Flea and Jaco

For walking soooo good: Ray Brown

For laying down the full fat funk: Bootsy, George and Larry (not that the other guys aren't funky!)

For rocking out: Timmy C, John Paul Jones,

And taking the bass somewhere else: Jaco, Stanley, Les, Victor, Bootsy...

And other musicians I love would have to be John Bonham and all the funky rock drummers that followed him (eg. Chad Smith and Brad Wilk), Billy Cobham (go and buy Spectrum it's stunning!, Tom Morello for his revolutionary guitar playing, John Frusciante for melding rock, funk and pop guitar so beautifully, and the hordes of great songwriters (they who know they are even if the public doesn't) and singers (maybe one day I'll pull off 'My Way' with that great Sinatra tone)out there!

Enough...

Alex

P.S. I can't believe I forgot Rocco Prestia - listening to him really got me understanding how to groove and how to feel the time.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

All of you here on the forum, for the courage to talk about everything related to your playing.

Yup.

I also in particular respect three bass players named Capasso, Gollihur, and Malone for keeping us all in line and moderating our on-line gatherings -- allowing us to discuss all things bass and other stuff too, developing our own little community. (Honestly, I'm not trying to kiss ass, even if it comes off that way!)

I also respect the pro bassists who hang here and share their experience and wisdom with us amateurs, especially the pros who are teachers.

I also respect the folks here who join us from outside North America. They add a nice foreign flavor to the discussions, helping us not to be too geocentric, while reminding us of the universality and boundary-crossing nature of music. (Plus, if I kiss their butts a little, some of the Aussies, Irish, Scottish, English, and New Zealanders might take me out to see a quality rugby match and to down a pint or six afterwards if/when I make it to their homelands!)

I also respect the bass "rookies" who join us here and try to learn from those who are more experienced while tolerating some occasional flaming and condescension. Not an easy spot to be in.

I also respect those players who can make me laugh about life as a bass player and remind me that sometimes I, too, can behave as if I'm "one fret short of an octave" (and it's okay!). Let's face it, y'all, there are some truly funny folks on this board.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

In no particular order: Victor Wooten, Abe Laboriel, Juan Nelson, Fred Hammond, Jaco Pastorius, Charles Mingus, Scott Lafaro, Ray Brown, John Entwistle, Pino Paladino, Garry Lunn, Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones, Stuart Zender, Chris Squire, Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, Bootsey Collins + everyone who ever strapped an instrument on and allowed us to see a little bit of their soul.
Hmmmmm...........

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by jeremyc:

All of you here on the forum, for the courage to talk about everything related to your playing.

Yup.

(Plus, if I kiss their butts a little, some of the Aussies, Irish, Scottish, English, and New Zealanders might take me out to see a quality rugby match and to down a pint or six afterwards if/when I make it to their homelands!)

Peace.

Hey why not South Africa , oh shit your right you said quality :) hehe we use to be good @ Rugby an Cricket :)
There is only two kinds of music , good music and bad music ....oooh and drugs is bad mmmmkay :)

Originally posted by orion_thefallen:

Hey why not South Africa , oh shit your right you said quality :) hehe we use to be good @ Rugby an Cricket :)

Hey, I'd take in some rugby in South Africa as well -- as long as you'd buy me a pint post match! The Springboks have had some strong years, and there will probably be some more in the future. ;):D

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

(Plus, if I kiss their butts a little, some of the Aussies, Irish, Scottish, English, and New Zealanders might take me out to see a quality rugby match and to down a pint or six afterwards if/when I make it to their homelands!)

Yep! We talked about that before, I remember. Mind you, it's very hard to get tickets for the Six Nations matches here, mostly because Ireland are going to win it this year! We even beat France yesterday, deadly!

bass playing, rugby and beer (in moderation, naturally). Three of life's greatest things.

Ray Brown - when I was just a boy and didn't know much, I could just tell he was awesome, so fluid.

Phil Small from Cold Chisel (legend Aussie band)- this guy lays down some really nice, supportive lines. Great groove.

Sting - love his groove, songwriting and his lyrics.

Bassists I admire:

• The bassists (and drummers) that have played with Sanata, for being as tight as a leather glove.
  • Victor Wooten, for his speed, playing style, and zen-enhancing bass camp :)
  • Bootsy Collins, for his groove
  • Milt Hinton, for his great heart and his contributions to jazz
  • (added)Charles Mingus, for being one of the greats of jazz
  • (added) Francois Rabbath, for his inspiration and skills that have lessened my left-hand woes.
  • (added) James Jamerson, one word: Motown

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

Bassists I respect:

Anyone who picks up the instrument and plays.

Now, I don't mean people who idly try an instrument and put it down -- I mean people who actually start playing and stick with it. Playing bass (or guitar) isn't easy. Many of us may not realize it because play a lot, but it takes a real commitment. It's hard. Your hands get messed up, blistered and calloused. You have a big-ass instrument strapped across your back when you practice. You have to spend time with it that you could be spending doing something else. And if you join a band... well.... there goes even more of your time.

So I respect anyone who tries and stays with it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Robert DeLeo-He plays lines that move but don't take away from the song as a whole.

Stuart Zender-Can you say funky?

Dave Schools-Good tone and very solid and interesting playing

Juan Nelson-The guy rips...period.

Rob Derhak-Very solid playing in a very cool band, and he sings too!

And many, many more... :thu:

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Hubert Eaves IV, he played on the erykah badu live album. Together with drummer poogie bell.

oh my goodness!

I learned alot from these guys although I had never met them. Hubert taugt me what smooth R&B/soul bass tone is all about.

Originally posted by cruzbass:

Hubert Eaves IV...drummer poogie bell.

...oh my goodness!

I'm not real familiar with Eaves (Overdue for a listen, I guess!), but Poogie Bell!!! Marcus Miller, Alex Bugnon...the guy's amazing!

Thanks for the tip on Eaves...I've only heard a song or 2...I'll check the rest out!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

ill have to agree with a few of you here, that its the people in the forum i admire, with out a wealth of experience like this to draw on i would probably have to pay for lessons :)

and willie, dont worry about the condesencion (sp?), i get my payback at work where im the one doing the educating

:evil:

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Archived