Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my old kentucky home

The Fonz

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bastid...

There are a lot of hardcore and emo bands in Louisville, and a few decent indie labels catering to those styles are also headquartered there.

I can't speak for the "scene" overall, but I know there are quite a few good "underground" shows in Louisville on a regular basis.

They used to have Krazyfest there every year, also the Cornerstone Festival. There are about 13 cool places to play in town. Not bad for a relatively small city.

I'd say you could do a lot worse.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I've lived in Louisville for about 4 years now. As far as the overall scene, I don't have alot to compare it to.. I've never lived in a bigger city than Lou. I enjoy it alot though. Like CMDN said, a few bands have made it outta here.... Slint, My Morning Jacket, Days of the New if you're into that side of it, to name a few.

I'd probably agree too that the city caters more to hardcore/punk/emo than other genres. I play blues/rock and there are lots of small bars for us to gig, as well as a few larger venues. Another thing that's big here, as it is in every major city, I'm sure.. is cover bands. Lots of bars have regular cover bands every weekend/through the week too. I'd say the pay is pretty good.

Why the interest? Thinking of relocating? or just random curiosity?

-Mike

...simply stating.

Originally posted by Mr M Pulsive:

Like CMDN said, a few bands have made it outta here.... Slint, My Morning Jacket, Days of the New if you're into that side of it, to name a few.

My mistake, Robb gets credit for the Slint reference :D

-Mike

...simply stating.

I have no idea about the music scene, but I have deep Kentucky roots...all in Eastern Kentucky (Harlan County)

I get through there every year. My dad is in Louisville all the time...he is big in the Masons (anybody here a Mason? Not me, at least not yet.) My dad is the Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky.

Anyway, Eastern Kentucky is a gas. I'll be buried there...when the time comes.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived