Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Technical Amp/Speaker Question

xhawk4

I've got an Eden Nemesis 210 combo. 200 watts alone or 225 watts at 4ohms with an extension cab.

So that means its an 8ohm setup alone right? I think right. Eden web site is so empty of tech info!!

Next I've got an TBC 210 400 watt 4ohm cab. Speakers are not labeled, just some numbers stamped on magnet and man are they heavy!

So in my desperation to get the 2 amp rigs I need, I switched the speakers, and upgraded the wires to 14g.

Holy crow, the Nemesis now smokes at 4ohms!! Perfect for my blues gigs,(small biker type clubs in Daytona Beach). That did change it to 4ohm right?

Now if I'm correct....The Nemesis is at full 4ohm capacity? And the TBC 210 is now an 8ohm cab like I needed, right?

Last thing... If I push 400 watts @ 4ohm, using two 8ohm cabs, what do the cabs need to be rated at, 400 watts each?

Man thanks again.

Hawk :thu:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the information you've given, you're correct that you now have your nemesis at 4ohms and your TBC at 8ohms.

i'm not on my game today, so this may not make as much sense as i'd like...

you have an amp that will push 400W into 4ohms and you want to do so using two 8ohm cabinets, which is an equivalent load of 40hms. the power is going into two cabinets in approximately equal amounts, which means that you will power each cabinet with half of the amp's total power, or 200W per cabinet.

now, the very misunderstood part is that you can theoretically use a cabinet rated down to 100W rms, or 200W peak. to be safe you may want to use something in the neighborhood of 150W, but you certainly don't anything larger than 200W per cabinet (alhtough you could use 400W cabinets if you want).

speakers have two ratings -- peak and rms. the peak rating is the maximum power you can put into the speaker cabinet before you risk damage or bad sound. the rms rating is an indication of how much power it can handle over an extended period of time. it's sort of a heat rating, more than anything else.

your amp is rated at 400W rms. that means it will peak somewhere around 565W. divide those by two, and it's 200W rms and 235W peak into each cabinet. make sure whatever cabinets you buy have at least 235W peak power handling. after that, you're pretty safe.

robb.

Careful. The Eden Nemesis combo webpage states that the combos put their full power into the internal speakers and that the extension speaker jacks are wired in series. That means adding an extension speaker cab will increase the impedance of your rig overall, reducing the wattage flowing from your amp. The volume gain from adding another speaker is the result of coupling and moving more air, not from a boost in power from the amp (since that's not happening).

Here's the link to the general info about Nemesis combo amps: Nemesis combo amps .

So, I think that the internal impedance of your 2x10 combo is actually 4 ohms, not 8 ohms. Were you to add a 4-ohm speaker cab, for example, the series wiring of the extension speaker jack would mean you would have an overall load of 8 ohms.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

If the impedance hasn't changed (which it sounds like it hasn't) it would appear that the speakers you've just put into the Nemesis are much more efficient than the stock speakers (partly thanks to having big heavy magnets).

Alex

Xhawk4, please clarify. I thought you changed the speakers in your TBS 2x10 extension cab to make it an 8-ohm cab, not your Nemesis combo.

spreadluv

Willie,

you are correct. I switched the speakers. And I think you are also correct as to the impedence. I just tried an ohm meter into the TBC with the Nemesis speakers and it still reads 4ohm.

So I need to buy 2 4ohm speakers and series wire them for that TBC cab.

By the way, I was out today at some music stores and looked inside the Mesa powerhouse 210(match to my powerhouse 15). The speaker magnets and cone and frame are almost Identical to the ones that came in my TBC. So I'm kinda stoked about that. I'll keep those better speakers in the Nemesis and look for some others for my 210 cab. Any suggestions? How bout Acme? Heard they were real good. Hard to find 4ohm or 16ohm speakers at a high wattage rating.

Robb.....thanks for the great info also.

Hawk :D

Take a look at Eminence -- they have some 10" speakers that have high power handling. I'm not sure where you'd buy them in your area, but there ought to be some kind of dealer listing at the Eminence website ( Eminence homepage here ).

Check out the DeltaLite series -- lightweight because they use neodymium magnets. However, I think the DeltaLite 10" speakers are only available at 8-ohm impedance (but 300W RMS handling!).

Good luck.

spreadluv

Archived