Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ska technique name? what's this called?

phaedrus

Hi all... I was just wondering if there was an 'official' terminology for the technique, that I have often heard used in ska lines, where you play a run using each note twice in a row... I can't think of exactly how to describe it but it's often quite fast and it might go something like this (which would sound horrible but might better demonstrate the technique)... 9 9 4 4 8 8 3 3 2 2 6 6 3 3 7 7... quite quickly. I want to call it double stop, but I have also read that this means playing two notes at once?

anyway, if someone can enlighten me that would be great...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a double stop is indeed playing two notes at the same time,....

a good example is the intro of Van Morrissons - Brown eyed girl.

I used to be in a ska band for 8 years,..... we just ust to call it surfin sound.

That offcourse is not the proper name ;)

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

hmm... i thought that technique/theory book would be right... damn. I just assumed there would be a specific terminology for it as I have heard it rather than having to stick with "the bit that goes dadad dudu dada dudu" or something like that ;)

It's called playing eighth notes...that's about all I can really figure out from you description and what I already know about ska bass...perhaps if you tell me what tune you're talking about I can help you better.

Horace Panter used double stops with the Specials (specifically on "Concrete Jungle"), but I don't think that's what you're talking about...

It would be nice if we had names for everything.

Then again, it might not be nice. You'd have to learn thousands of names and what the appropriate lines were.

If you play jazz or latin music there are official lines that have names: walking, two-beat, tumbao, samba, bossa nova, partido alto, rhumba, mambo, son, songo and many more. Do you know those?

Just enjoy the fact that you can play all kinds of things in rock, ska, reggae, funk and not have to play an "official" part.

Archived