Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Odd and/or Bad Playing Techniques??

Kooky Mogessi

Ok heres a story for all you people.

two days ago I went to a friends house and there was another bass player there. I heard he wasnt all to great on the bass but was just there to hangout and not to judge. I went down into the basement and i heard really bad playing as i went down the stairs. i get down there and it was the guy i heard about. He may have sounded better if he was using a bass amp (he was using a guitar amp)

Heres the kicker....

I noticed it looked like he was just smacking the strings (not like someone playing slap would but the same way one would smack a fly on a table). I also noticed he would try to move around the neck but he would just use one finger. this was all from the back. He turned around and he was playing with A THUMB PICK!!! that just blew my mind.

anyone else have stories like this???

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, folks thought Larry Graham was one fret short of an octave when he first put thumb to string. Then they came around... :thu:

This fellah may be onto some new technique that will be all the rage 5 yrs from now. We'll be complaining about all the kids trying to get all funky and flashy with their thumb-picks and single finger fretting technique. ;)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Penguinsarebirds:

Ok heres a story for all you people.

two days ago I went to a friends house and there was another bass player there. I heard he wasnt all to great on the bass but was just there to hangout and not to judge. I went down into the basement and i heard really bad playing as i went down the stairs. i get down there and it was the guy i heard about. He may have sounded better if he was using a bass amp (he was using a guitar amp)

Heres the kicker....

I noticed it looked like he was just smacking the strings (not like someone playing slap would but the same way one would smack a fly on a table). I also noticed he would try to move around the neck but he would just use one finger. this was all from the back. He turned around and he was playing with A THUMB PICK!!! that just blew my mind.

anyone else have stories like this???

First of all, Jerry Only used to play with a thumb pick, wierd, but it worked.

I've done some wierd stuff too, I play sometimes with a slide and capo, try to emulate slide guitar on bass...rather interesting. But I ALWAYS use my entire left hand for fretting, you save so much energy!

Everyone's got their own little quirk if you will, some people play with their bass around their knees, others choke themselves with it. I play with a pick, other people fingers, then you got the nut with the Ebow. Some use a slide, others capos, others use wahs. If you ask me, its not duplicating an amazing bassist that shows you're talented, but rather that you can create your own style.

\m/ Timothy Lyons

he just started about 6 months to a year ago so his being rough around the edges is understandable. I was just surprised to see him playing with a thumb pick. It was different. But hey if it works for him more power to him.
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Archived