Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Question for common beginner bassists only...

BenLoy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essentially you're just whacking the string with your thumb, and the pop is pulling up on the string and letting go, all really rapidly to get a somewhat percussive sound.

It's hard to learn by example, I found it best to keep whacking the strings 'til I got the right sound, and it's worked for me ever since.

\m/ Timothy Lyons

Well, Ben, here's how I do it.

1. Open the hand.

2. Rotate backwards at the hips, pulling the arm all the way back behind me.

3. Rotate forwards from the hips, swinging arm forwards simultaneously -- focus eyes on target.

4. Swing thru target after connection is made by open hand (a.k.a., "follow through").

5. Rotate backwards again, because if you're quick enough you can catch the target with a subsequent backhanded slap.

6. Again, make sure to follow through.

Was that helpful, or too pugilistic? It works best when you utter the words, "Dammit, Jim, snap out of it!"

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ben you're funny... I almost didn't even read that 'other' thread, being a mere common beginner myself. Thanks for starting a thread we non pro's can participate in. :D

I don't slap, I prefer punching, kicking and eye-gouging. Slapping makes my palm sting. 'Cept a good backhand comes in handy once in a while. :):wave:

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by BenLoy:

...and can someone tell me where to find website for fender.

UUmmmm... not sure... was gonna ask that myself...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I don't recommend slapping a fender. You can break a finger that way. Especially if it's on an SUV, particularly a hummer. Additionally, some people don't like to have their fenders slapped and you can end up in a whole mess o' trouble that fine slap technique can't bail you out of.

spreadluv

Oh Sweet Willie I'm busting apart - that's great... and a little pugilism is fine. ROTFL

An experienced friend of mine showed me how he learned from someone who showed him in the hallway at music school... the free lesson that was more valuable than the classes he paid for.

Anyway... I can't explain it, so I won't try. I say find someone who can show you - maybe a teacher.

- Matt W.

Slapping a Music Man, however, is usually okay. They're often trying to rip off the whole town with some kind of sneaky sales scheme anyway. Plus, Broderick's not that big a fellah to begin with. You could probably get away without too much trouble.

spreadluv

MUSIC MAN BASS SUCKS THATS WHY FLEA DUZNT PLAY THEM ANYMORE IM SAVING UP FOR MAHDULUS BASS FLEA PLAYZ THOSE NOW AND HE SOUNDZ 2 GOOD HE'S TIGHT!!!!ANYONE CAN SEND ME WEBSITE OR VIDEOS TO SHOW ME HOW TO PLAY U2 SONGS??????????

MUSIC MAN BASS SUCKS THATS WHY FLEA DUZNT PLAY THEM ANYMORE IM SAVING UP FOR MAHDULUS BASS FLEA PLAYZ THOSE NOW AND HE SOUNDZ 2 GOOD HE'S TIGHT!!!!ANYONE CAN SEND ME WEBSITE OR VIDEOS TO SHOW ME HOW TO PLAY U2 SONGS??????????

Whatever floats your boat buddy. But Flea, you might want to know used to use Music Man basses only, and now, his Modulus' are built to replicate the sound and feel of his Music Men.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

Here's a link to a picture of a guy who might be able to help you with your slapping and learning some U2 tunes. Unfortunately he plays some kind of fancy-schmancy Music Man bass. ;)

Go here to find enlightenment from a true master.

spreadluv

ROTFLMFAO. ;) The shirt's not so bad, even if the bass is up a little high.

Trust me, though, you could learn a thing or two from him. If you don't know him, you should. I think he probably lives in your neighborhood, and he's playing some gigs around NYC these days -- mainly down in the Village. Go check him out, and maybe you'll change your tune, Grasshopper.

spreadluv

So I hit the neck with my thumbs or what?

I want to sound like Flea. Where can I find tab to learn.

Ultimate tab site (you can totally be like FiELdy from that sWeEt BaND KoRn):

www.supaflytabz.org.net.nl.uk/tabz.html

I you want to sound like a flea, you will have to first find a dog. Study the habits of the flea. Be the flea.

Try the yellow pages.

WHO IS THAT GUY HE SUCKS HES PLAYING MUSICMAN AND ITS HIGH NOT LIKE FLEA THAT SHIRT IS STUPID TOO HES UGLY AND HAS A BIG NOSE.

Well, you may be right about the nose.

You can see clear up to his brain thru that thing!

spreadluv

Timothy, could I have word with you please...come on out into the hall...there are one or two things that need to be explained...

:D:D:D

Dan--do not, I repeat, DO NOT slap a stingray. I mean, duh, it's called a STING ray?!? It can slap you way better'n you can slap it!

i dunno i cant slap either , but mine is fretless

and i learned on this guitar so i have never played a guitar with frets,i dont think slaping works with fretless, if anyone knows better please tell me :wave:

Originally posted by uber:

i dunno i cant slap either , but mine is fretless

and i learned on this guitar so i have never played a guitar with frets,i dont think slaping works with fretless, if anyone knows better please tell me :wave:

It doesn't work at all with flatwounds, but you can pull it off with rounds...it just isn't as *zingy* as with frets...sounds kinda plasticy, to me. I love playing the funk on my fretless, though.

use the search engine!!!! this site will help you practice you slapping-

http://hoslap.net/

i think this is where Flea learned

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Originally posted by music-man:

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Slapping a Music Man, however, is usually okay. They're often trying to rip off the whole town with some kind of sneaky sales scheme anyway.

Hey wait a minute. That's not fair. :evil:
Nuthin' personal. ;):D

I was really referring to the musical. :P:rolleyes:

I, too, have appreciated the "release".

Peace, bass brethren.

spreadluv

Archived