Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Player Toolz

Therion

Hi,

as my musical nonledge grows, i'm looking for more informations about all the tools the bass player could use, such as DI Box (what is DI box...), why someone prefer XLR cable to Speakon, what are the drawback or advantage of speakon etc...Is it good to have premp/amp in one unit or two units...As i suppose to go to studio soon, i want to have more informations about that (i don't really know what those things are, all i know is that i have my cabs, my amp..i plug my bass, make my sound and all ok ;) ).Where to get those informations ? Is there any book i could buy ? Or any web site ? Thanks for all your answer

Do What Thou Whilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...the first thing to know is to trust what the recording engineer says.

If you don't have a copy of "The Bass Player Book" that would be a good starting point.

A DI is a device that matches the output of your bass to the input of the studio mixing board. Although you could plug straight in, the tone would not sound like it does in your amp.

In the studio, they may use your amp and a mic, but I really doubt it. The engineer needs much more control over the sound than that would give him.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Well...the first thing to know is to trust what the recording engineer says.

If you don't have a copy of "The Bass Player Book" that would be a good starting point.

You want to say "the bass player book" by Richard johnston & Karl coryat ?

That's the one. It's a compilation of many articles originally published in Bass Player magazine.

Every single word here is useful. An absolutely great reference.

I don't know if it will answer all your questions...there are other books as well. However, you will learn great stuff from this book.

I didn't think about this before, but the editors of Guitar Player published a book, "The Musician's Home Recording Handbook" that has a lot of useful information as well. It has a lot of info about those of us who have home 4-track systems...but also goes into detail about the fundamentals of recording. This should provide a good starting point.

I don't know, however, if they have been translated into French.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

That's the one. It's a compilation of many articles originally published in Bass Player magazine.

Every single word here is useful. An absolutely great reference.

I don't know if it will answer all your questions...there are other books as well. However, you will learn great stuff from this book.

I didn't think about this before, but the editors of Guitar Player published a book, "The Musician's Home Recording Handbook" that has a lot of useful information as well. It has a lot of info about those of us who have home 4-track systems...but also goes into detail about the fundamentals of recording. This should provide a good starting point.

I don't know, however, if they have been translated into French.

Thank for your answer, don't worry, my english is not as so good ;) but it's not so difficult for me to understand english book ;)

Archived