Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bands, and what the Bass player uses

Gogrick

Hey all, I'm new around here. I used to play around on the bass about 20 years ago (ug, where does the time go). Anyway, I've really got the itch to get back into it, and I've been scoping out some affordable basses and using the search engine here to see what were some of the experts favorites.

All that aside, I really enjoy what I've seen here so far.

I thought maybe some of you might be interested in providing links to some unknown or fairly obscure bands, why you like them, what the bass player is using, etc.

I'm a big Cranes fan, (not a big name band for sure, but I love them) anyway, I recently found a clip with Alison Shaw (the lead singer) was playing with a band called 'Trash Palace'. The bass line is simple but I really like the tone. So what is the bass player using? Is that a Gibson?

Here's the links

low quality

http://www1.lesinrocks.com/inrocks/popupplayer.cfm?videosrce=http://real3.isdnet.net/ramgen/inrocks/Musique/1002/trash_palace/trash_palace-sweet-bd.rm&artist=%20Trash%20Palace&vide o=Your%20sweet%20love%20(live%20à%20St%20Malo)&credits=&chapo=Titre%20extrait%20du%20premier%20album%20de%20Trash%20Palace%20et%20interprété%20en%20live,%20avec%20Alison%20Shaw%20a u%20chant,%20à%20La%20Route%20du%20Rock%202002.

high quality

http://www1.lesinrocks.com/inrocks/popupplayer.cfm?videosrce=http://real3.isdnet.net/ramgen/inrocks/Musique/1002/trash_palace/trash_palace-sweet-bd.rm&artist=%20Trash%20Palace&vide o=Your%20sweet%20love%20(live%20à%20St%20Malo)&credits=&chapo=Titre%20extrait%20du%20premier%20album%20de%20Trash%20Palace%20et%20interprété%20en%20live,%20avec%20Alison%20Shaw%20a u%20chant,%20à%20La%20Route%20du%20Rock%202002.

Hopefully this isnt off-topic for this forum, and I look forward to viewing some of your favorites as well.

Dan

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont really recall saying I was looking for a "budget teenager instrument", but then I dont throw my money away either. There's a lot of junk out there that's overpriced, and some stuff reasonabley priced that will do just fine.

Mostly I was just saying HI and trying to generate some talk about who you all like, why, and what they play.

Sorry, I didn't make it all the way through the video.

Is that girl singing in any particular language? Normally I can understand a few languages, but I couldn't recognize a word she was singing.

The video was too small and dark on my computer to see what the bass player was playing.

But if you want to know what the bassplayer in various obscure bands play, you've come to the right place.

We all play in obscure bands around here, and you'll find as many opinions as to what the best bass is as there are members of this forum.

Buy an instrument you like, you can always change your mind and trade it in later. But the important thing is that you get an instrument into your hands as soon as possible and start playing.

See you around the forum.

It seems to be traditional around here that the first time someone posts, they get flamed. After the first time, it's much easier.

Thanks for the reply JeremyC. Alison was singing in English, but I understand where you're coming from, she sings very softly.

I'm pretty sure it was a Gibson of some variety, maybe an Epiphone. ::shrug::

Anyways, thanks for the hello. After so much wasted time, I am anxious to get moving on playing again.

WElcome to the forums GogricK! Unfortunately I've no soundcard in this antique of a computer, so I'm unable to help.

Get a versatile bass and half the fun (and education) will come from playing around with different tones till you get the one you're after!

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Yeah, it looks like a Gibson or Epiphone bass. The tone really comes from the amp and sounds really compressed with no real eq on it. Probably old strings too. You can get that sound from any rock oriented bass of decent quality. But it sounded kinda synth like though and the bass player may have been just 'finger/pick syncing' to it. :thu:
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by Gogrick:

...I've been scoping out some affordable basses ...

Yea, I may have misread this. When I hear budget to be the only requirement, I try to get people to focus on the instrument first. Then beg, borrow and save to get the right instrument. I've seen too many people shop price. These are instruments, not washing machines.

Go play them. Play over and under your price, then buy the one that speaks to you.

I've been really happily surprised with the Epi EB-5 5 string.

The 34" scale means clear low-neck intervals, the pickups put out a lot of tone, the workmanship (robotmanship) is better than on many Fenders I've had.

Negative- the neck is a bit heavy for the balance point where the strap button is attached behind the neck joint- that's about it, and it's not detrimental to playability for me.

A bargain for about $400. Impossible to find anything like this in the 80's for this price.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

Yea, those are sharp, if unbalanced. However, I came across a deal I couldnt pass up on a discontinued model Ibanez SR-480.

Once I get back to work the billfold will open a little wider, but for now I think this is a fine bass.

So any of you have some links to some bands/bassplayers you really enjoy listening to? The more obscure the better. :wave:

I liked the sound of it yes. But the primary purpose of the thread was to get some exposure to bands/bass players that 'you' guys like. I just started off with a song I'd recently been exposed to.

Originally posted by Gogrick:

So any of you have some links to some bands/bassplayers you really enjoy listening to? The more obscure the better.

Welcome to Lowdown {Better late than never!}

Keep in mind 'Obscure' is relative to what you listen to regularly. If you're into Alt Rock or Pop, anything else may be obscure.

If a consensus were taken here, I would guess that a dozen or so bassists would make nearly everyone's list. For those of us who have, ummmm, aged gracefully as bass players, some of those names might include Jaco, J. Pattitucci, V. Wooten, K. Stone, R. Brown, S. Clarke, M. Hinton, Flea, L. Claypool ...OK, maybe more than a dozen names!

Still, you'll find referrences to many players here. Listen to every one you can. And listen to the sound/feel they create with their bass. The music may not be of your liking, but what's being played by the bassist may be the exactly what you're looking for.

Then go out and play every bass you can get your hands on. As others have said, find the ONE that really speaks to you. And if it takes a while longer to save up the cash to get it, so be it. You'll never regret it. Your tastes may change over time (actually, your tastes WILL change over time), but if you can play what you hear in your head because the bass you have let's you express it, that's more than half the battle!

Good Luck. There are some really good people here, and they're more than willing to share what they know!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

as the first bass u pick up, u cant go wrong with a fender jazz if not that, anything with either 2 humbuckers, or a single coil and a p setup(r style). More knobs the better, its important to have a blen if u got that i think ur fine. Ifu want to listen to bass to get ideas of where to start, listen to nirvana first, then incubus NOT HIS SLAP STUFF*, then some jamiroqua, experment with any jazz (i chose afro cuban), and listen to the greats. If ur a jazz fan, CHARLES MINGUS all the way man. If ur a rock fan load up on led zep. But before u play any of these songs learn scales again, and ur fingers gotta move fast and independently. Fingerstyle is the best for now. id hit a 4 string. and if u can go for some bucks, get a peavy fury 4, great bass i wish i had one.

just listen to evrey bass line u can

my fav band to listen to

jamiroquai....awesome bass

-warwick bass

-eden amp

my fav composer band leader

Mingus

Ah Um is essential album

uhh thats it i think thatswhat u wanted. sorry if i gave to much pointers but if u want ur groove u gotta learn to listen for some. good luck living again.

less is more

Hey, I'm always open for advice Soupster, thanks for the info. I'm primarily into 'alternative' music at the moment, but there's not any type of music I dont like to some degree.. well, maybe rap. :wave:

Archived