Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Filing the Nut.

Soundcrafter

The new strings on my bass, specifically the B string is a little large in the nut and is stressing it. How do I go about filing the nut to the proper size?

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know they make files in the particular gauge sizes of strings, but, that may be too much money. I would take a very fine file and widen the groove a little at a time. If you don't have a file, try a razor blade and just shave it. Depending on the material of the nut, this can be easy or hard, unless it's brass and it's impossible. The key is to not take too much. Just try a little at a time and not put too much stress on it as it can break.

I've used the string itself as a file on the occasion the nut slot is to small. Rub the string (a spare one, if available) back and forth in the slot like a file. Also have done this for smoothing out bridge slots that are a little rough.

If you want the official tools, you can order them from Stewmac

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

The main thing you want to be careful about is not going too deep, so that the string buzzes on the first fret. Make sure you're only filing on the sides of the, not the bottom. If you have a set of feeler gages, you can find the combination that lay on the fingerboard and will let you file down to the bottom of the slot, but no further.

Also, wrap a heavy rag around the headstock and posts so that you don't scratch the heck out of them.

Bruiser

Archived