Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beginning Luthier tips

Brendan Orr

Hello, I'm thinking about making basses. Besides woodworking techniques, where is the best source of information about building basses?

Thanks, Brendan

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, Brendan, you remind me of...me. I've wanted to build my own basses, get a handmade American instrument for about a grand, and I'm convinced I'll like this better than any other. If not, there's eBay.

Check out a few luthiers, Sadowsky, Curbow and there are a few more out there I can't remember, but ask them for advice, Roger Sadowsky is always a great guy and so is Greg Curbow.

\m/ Timothy Lyons

http://www.mimf.com/ is a good resource.

An Amazon search showed a book: "Building Electric Guitars: How to Make Solid-Body, Hollow-Body and Semi-Acoustic Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars" by Martin Koch

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I was fascinated by making an archtop guitar by Robert Benedetto, and found that I would never be a builder, because I don't have woodworking skill.. or maybe I don't have enough patience for perfection..

I finally settle in with Dan Erlewine Guitar Repair guide, and How to make your guitar play great. It gave me a good sights about setups, hardware, finish/polishing, repair, and specs from builders.

Guitar Electronics for Musicians, Donald Brosnac also good for electronics understanding, or if you don't want to be bothered much, you can always bought a ready made preamp, like Aguilar, Sadowsky, EMG & Bartolinis PU/electronics, John East Retro series, or you can even ask them to design/build your own specs.

Thank you for your info! I'm thinking about using Lightwave-System's optical pickups so I can do some exotic designs. I just hope the shape doesn't compromise the bass's tone.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

Archived