Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Setting up my acoustic bass to feel more like my Fender Jazz?

HypnoBassMan

Hello Forumites,

I just bought a Ibanez 5-string acoustic bass guitar. I want to use it when I am traveling (teaching hypnosis) and unable to practice on my 5-string Fender Jazz bass. I travel frequently, and since I just started playing again after about 25 years off, even a short time away from my bass and I start to decline rapidly in my playing ability. I am usually away for 2 to 4 weeks at a time.

So now I have a new problem. The strings on the Ibanez are closer together than on my Fender. That seems to bother me more than switching between the scale lengths (Ibanez is 32 inches and the Fender is 34 inches). The difference in string spacking really makes a difference when I switch back and forth between the two basses. It is totally messing me up. Can I replace or adjust the bridge so that the spacing is farther apart on the acoustic? Or, do you think that I will just get used to it.

Thanks for the help,

HypnoBassMan

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is really at the bridge. The difference in spacing is messing up my picking and plucking hand.

I suppose I need to replace the bone-looking thing in the bridge and carve some dents into the places where I want my strings to go in order to spread out the spacing a bit.

Does that sound logical? Has anyone else done this sort of thing?

HypnosBassMan

HypnoBassMan

Changes to the spacing of the nut, or to the bridge, are pretty serious. And we're talking about an ABG, not a slab of wood.

Get used to it. Keep playing both instruments. After a while, you'll be able to pick up anything (scale length, neck width), and be able to play.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Why aren't you taking your Fender on the road with you? There are a bunch of headphone amps that will take the input of a electric bass, and send it through headphones so you can practice in relative silence. I have a floor stomp box that has a headphone out and a Cd/Tape input, so I can play along with music without bothering anyone. Now if that ABG really floats your boat, I guess you will have to get used to it, but if it's just a substitute for your 5 string Fender, Why use it? :confused:

At least, that's what I would do. YMMV....

Nice to see you posting again after an absence.

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

The Fender would certainly take up less space, but there's something nice about pulling out an acoustic and just start thumpin away...

Get used to the string spacing...these things become easier to deal with the better your technique becomes, so I would concentrate on playing more than worrying about the setup of the instrument.

Jeezz I thought I would get some good news like,"Oh I had that problem and all I did was take it to this guy who adjusted the bridge...etc. ;)

Randy, the reason I got the ABG was because I didn't wanna take my baby (Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass, which I just got in October, 2002) on the road with me.

I just couldn't imagine taking her through airport security or having her go through all that luggage handling. Or the idea of leaving her in the hotel room and not being there when I got back was to difficult to even think about, so I got the ABG as a travel guitar.

In addition to that, I thought that it would be fun to have it around to play acoustically when acoustic-guitared friends stop by. :D

Anyway, I'm holding out for a solution. And, in the mean time, I suppose I'm just getting used to it. :)

HypnoBassMan

Ernest,

The answer is easy.

1. I didn't expect that I would find an ABG that felt exactly like my Fender Jazz bass.

2. That being said, I wanted to have a bass that I could take with me to keep in practice because I travel so much on business.

3. I did not have my Jazz bass with me when I was buying the ABG, since I was traveling at the time and really missed my bass. So I bought this one. Which I like, but I only wish that the string spacing at the bridge was a little wider, like that of the Jazz.

See, it is all very logical :P

HypnoBassMan

Archived