Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BAsSS!!!! help!!!

CSApproved

I want to buy some hardware to make some phat ass bass sounds and would like to know what it is that dr. dre uses. whatever he has i have to get it cause as far as im concerned he has some of the cleanest phatest bass sounds ive ever heard. can someone please help?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a clue.

But you could find out for yourself.

I'm assuming the cd has liner notes.

Is there a bass player credited?

Who is it?

If you find that out, you can find out what kind of bass he uses.

Is it sampled? What records are sampled? Who played on them?

Or is a keyboardist/programmer credited? Then you need to find out what kind of gear he used.

And if you have a bass or some keyboard gear lying around, you just start working and see if you can duplicate the sound that you hear.

ok, first go and buy a keyboard. then buy the most expensive voicing unit you can find. (allows you to program tones into the keyborad, patches and stuff) then go and buy some turntables and a mixer and a real nice drum machine. some preamps, a real good compressor....ect...

my point is that in most cases the rap songs you hear on a CD do not have a bass guitar playing the bass part. it is some kind of synth, keybaord, drum machine, beat maker, general studio stuff that is real expensive. but for the most part it is done on a keyboard and then looped and mixed.

Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

Next, I can be 100% sure that no one here listens to that kind of music, because it doesn't really take a real musician to play it. Sorry if I seem harsh, but you have a really bad first impression.

Dang, Cowbell. I listen to rap and hip hop. Dr. Dre isn't in my collection, but I'm loaded with others. Remember, the Roots use live instrumentation, and their bass player, Hub, can really lay it down -- on electric and URB. Raphael Saadiq, recently on the cover of BP, lays down hip hop bass tracks -- and he's a crazy good player. The Black Eyed Peas use live bass, as have the Goats. Ron Carter, yes, the jazz great Ron Carter, laid down a great track with A Tribe Called Quest. Should I go on?

I realize that our rookie participant made a faux pas with his double post, and that his question is a little different than what we usually discuss around here, but give the cat a break.

And yes, lots of rap bass tracks are synth and samples. The tip to dig thru liner notes was a good one. There's probably some other info out on the web if you search carefully -- google, baby, google! Dr. Dre has gotten mad props for his production, so check archives for some of the studio and sound mags (hopefully some of that's on-line).

Peace.

(BTW, Cowbell, it's nice to see your SNL/Blue Oyster avatar back! :thu: )

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Next, I can be 100% sure that no one here listens to that kind of music, because it doesn't really take a real musician to play it. Sorry if I seem harsh, but you have a really bad first impression.

Dang, Cowbell. I listen to rap and hip hop. Dr. Dre isn't in my collection, but I'm loaded with others. Remember, the Roots use live instrumentation, and their bass player, Hub, can really lay it down -- on electric and URB. Raphael Saadiq, recently on the cover of BP, lays down hip hop bass tracks -- and he's a crazy good player. The Black Eyed Peas use live bass, as have the Goats. Ron Carter, yes, the jazz great Ron Carter, laid down a great track with A Tribe Called Quest. Should I go on?

I realize that our rookie participant made a faux pas with his double post, and that his question is a little different than what we usually discuss around here, but give the cat a break.

And yes, lots of rap bass tracks are synth and samples. The tip to dig thru liner notes was a good one. There's probably some other info out on the web if you search carefully -- google, baby, google! Dr. Dre has gotten mad props for his production, so check archives for some of the studio and sound mags (hopefully some of that's on-line).

Peace.

(BTW, Cowbell, it's nice to see your SNL/Blue Oyster avatar back! :thu: )

For what it's worth I love all of Dre's stuff, what he did in the field of rap production post-Straight Outta Compton was actually pretty damn revolutionary. In fact, NWA's "100 miles and runnin" is to this day one of my favorite songs, just the production creates a very tense feeling. Anybody who says rap producers that sample (which Dre doesn't do too often) hasn't really done their homework. "The Bomb Squad" (famous for their work w/ Public Enemy) made an artform out of it.

Other than synth bass (which takes $$$$$ to get that sound), Mike Elizondo has played on many of Dre's recent tracks including most of "The Chronic 2001", and Colin Wolfe played on "The Chronic" and the final two NWA LP/EP's (ahh, High School days!)

...thus ends the hip-hop lesson from the boy from Kansas...

But if you're asking about synth bass, you're probably in the wrong forum. Good luck though.

Ah, nice marmot.

Yeah, I guess I came out a little harsh on him. I guess I was just having a bad night and all that stuff. Sorry about all that stuff.

Well anyways, even though rap is soooo not my style, usually their bass players are somewhat good at what they do. Uusally its a keyboard on records though.

Hehe, yeah, the avatars been back for over a week now, but it's a different one thatn the previous cowbell one. This ones a little clearer and a tad bigger though.

Yeah, I guess I came out a little harsh on him.

"a little harsh"? lol. The poor guy probably thought he accidentally posted in a lead singer's forum w/ that attitude.

Mental note: don't catch CowbellAllen in a bad mood.

------------------------------------------

"I'll be honest.. fellas, it was sounding great. But . . . I could've used a little more cowbell. So let's take it again. And Gene, really explore the studio space this time. I mean, really . . . explore the space. I like what I'm hearing." - B. Dickinson

Ah, nice marmot.

Archived