Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Preamp got wet

KikkyMonk

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can take the cover off (or panels....I don't know how it's constructed) and shake out any loose water.

Turn your oven on for about 2 minutes maximum, just to get the oven warm inside, turn it off, and stick everything inside the oven and close the door. This will force dry moisture on the circuit board, etc.

Repeat about one or two more times.

(Just don't leave the oven on....unless you have a good spaghetti sauce :)

Hope it stays working.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Originally posted by fig:

dry moisture

yeah. whatever.

just let it dry out completely before you even consider plugging it in. then let it dry some more.

there are very few things that water could damage intrinsically inside of your ashdown -- most of the damage comes from water's high conductivity causing temporary short circutits.

robb.

Oh yeah, definitely contact the manufacturer first for their help or advice.

Forced drying in ovens is a standard procedure for avionics/electronics reclamation in case of fresh or saltwater immersion (saltwater contamination requires a few extra steps). So don't worry if shaking and baking is the last thing you need to do to ensure all the moisture is out of the unit.

I went thru the 'saltwater' procedure years ago when my amp took a huge drink of margueritta. Took it apart, dunked it in fresh water, brushing with a bristle brush, dunked it in alcohol, oven dried it. Only thing I had to do after that was spray the pots with contact cleaner. Worked fine.

LOL....Robb, I just reread how I wrote that sentence.

I think I should've written 'force dry THE moisture on the circuit board...'.

Dry moisture! I think I saw that once while tripping on acid as a youth :freak:

It's early and I haven't had enough coffee yet...gimme a break :)

Now where's my coffee cup!....

maybe it will work.....good luck!

I spilled some water on my combo amp and it stopped working. About 15 minutes later it started working again and I've had no problems since.

Someone I know (no, it wasn't me) dropped his pager in the urinal by accident and it worked a few days later when it dried out. I don't recommend this method of "cleaning" your pager.

Good luck with it - I expect it will be fine.

Please share any recipes that Ashdown gives you when you ask of the baking instructions :D

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Actually, I dropped a pocket radio into a swimming pool and then immediately dried it...

With a blow dryer. That forced air thing really works....blows all the water out.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Well I left a fan on it for most of today then plugged her in... Her blue LED shone brightly as if saying "hi."

Anywho I guess its working

Thank you for all your comments and concerns once again proving to me that your worth your weight in gold! (random incubus reference) But seriously you people rock!!!

Dave

Archived