Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new bass, lookin for opinions

soupster

Hey guys,

lookin for an opinion on this bass before i go buy it. It sounds great , and feels pretty good. But i am not that expierienced and so i am limited on my knowledge of things. Its an ibanez obviously and im searching for the incubus sound of phat lowend but still a great attack with notes. Uhh just let me know what u think.

http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=55977

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR485

this bass..

less is more

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey soupie...

An Ibanez SR485 is made exactly the same as an SR405, the only major difference is the mahogany body and the transparent finish on the SR485. It will give you a brighter tone, but the bass will be significantly heavier, while the SR405 will weigh a little less and have a slightly beefier, warmer tone. Be sure to check out the SR405's as well.

\m/ Timothy Lyons

I have a SR 1300, a custom version of the SR 3000E , If your able to scrape up a few more bucks, try and get a model which has the sweepable midrage in the eq. This opens so many doors tone-wise. I've been able to get that Incubus tone no problem with my bass. :D
These words, are sledgehammers of truth.

the neck is made of maple and wenge, both of which are very hard and very good for necks.

i've played the BTB405QM, and i was not very pleased with the preamp. the bass sounded great with everything set flat, but changing anything was very difficult to make sound good.

the pickups and EQ are different than the BTB, so maybe it's ok. i did find the EQ on the SRX series to sound quite nice.

for $400 it's really nice.

robb.

Now the 3 band eq on the SR485 is nice, the knobs feel good, but a 2 band will do just fine. I find that boosting or cutting the mids at all completely ruins the sound of the bass...I may just get rid of that knob and install a 2 band eq in my SR400...

Play the bass, see what YOU think.

\m/ Timothy Lyons

if you're not that experienced, then the specifics probably won't matter to you much at all. [im in the same category].

so if you like the feel, the look, the sound and the price, then get it no matter what anyone says. you're the one that's gunna have to play it, feel it, see it, listen to it and buy it. oh and name it.

- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Archived