Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hipshot Bass Tremolo

Timothy Lyons

Has anyone tried out the Hipshot bass tremolo?

In mid-March, I will be purchasing a new Ibanez SR400, and modifying it with a new dark red finish, black hardware, new Gotoh tuners and a Hipshot bass tremolo.

Is the bass tremolo hard to work with? Hard to install? Does it drop out of tune?

Also, with a Hipshot Extender, will the change in tension on the E string affect the position of the bridge greatly?

\m/ Timothy Lyons

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Timothy Lyons:

Has anyone tried out the Hipshot bass tremolo?

In mid-March, I will be purchasing a new Ibanez SR400, and modifying it with a new dark red finish, black hardware, new Gotoh tuners and a Hipshot bass tremolo.

Is the bass tremolo hard to work with? Hard to install? Does it drop out of tune?

Also, with a Hipshot Extender, will the change in tension on the E string affect the position of the bridge greatly?

First of all, welcome to the forums. Second, let's see, most tremeloes will affect the tension make strings drop out of tune, because you are rapidly lowering and raising the tension of the strings, thereby changing the pitch. Unless you are using a Floyd Rose-type trem, with a locking nut and bridge with fine tuners, you are going to experience some detuning as a result. I believe Carl Thompson builds basses with trems, some others might as well.

I've never seen this Hipshot, but I do know they make great products, and this is probably a good one.

With the Extender, you are dropping the tuning to D, I assume? This will affect intonation at the bridge, as you will be intonated (hopefully) to E, and the dropped tuning will affect the notes a bit as you fret them...the reason we intonate in the first place. The Extender, coupled with the trem, might cause you some trouble, especially since you won't be able to have both with a locking nut, which would help to keep tuning.

Another problem with trems is that they don't always reset to zero, or the place at which the tuning will be exact. A major problem with all dive-bombers on the trem.

I have the extender on another SR400 and they install without any trouble. I will try the extender with the tremolo and if it doesn't work, I'll put it back on my first one, if it does I'll buy another.

But thanks for the reply and the welcome! Unfortunately there will be no locking nut, nor is it a Floyd Rose type...it's almost a floating Badass in a way.

I'm always out to try new things, coupling guitar styles and bass styles, toss a wah on that puppy and maybe an eBow and a slide...could have something kinda wierd coming out soon... :freak:

\m/ Timothy Lyons

It would seem that an extender key would effect the other strings on a "floating" bridge. I've never tried one, so I may very well be wrong. It won't be the first time. It just seems that all the strings would be dependant on all the other strings' tension. The effect may be minor, though.

It will affect the floating bridge in a bad way to have a detuner on this bass. As already mentioned, there will be a change in tension on that string and it will pull the whole bass out of tune.

Another thing, have you played a bass with a floating bridge before? I have. Personally, not a fan. Les Claypool did have a rather entertaining use for one though in the song "Is It Luck?". I'd try one out before you made that sort of commitment.

Archived