Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

got my new amp GK700RB

Slaerty

I arrived yesterday. My wife told me about it in the afternoon and I had to go through an hour of parent interviews before I went home (a teachers job would be so much easier if it wasn't for parents and their children). Played it last night with the new 4x10 cab and 1x 15 cab. Dam it looked good, never had the 2 cab thing before. It sounded real punchy.

Have a question though. I know edendude plays the 1001 model. It has all the same bells n whistles as mine so maybe you can help. I was using the speakeon connection but had trouble getting both boxes to work. I assumed that i could turn off the active crossover thingy but couldn't. How do you run yours. I ended up running one speakeon to one cabinet and then connecting both cabinets up to each other.

Any other hints or tips. (I guessI should read the manual)

Providence over serendipity any day.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats, :thu:

When I was shopping around I did try the 700RB, I liked it, but I decided I wanted more power, unfortunately, I don't remember how its setup as far as the nobs go, but I don't think its much different than the 1001. I have a GK1001RB. I run mine full range, with 2 1/4 in speaker cables, 1 into an ampeg 4x10 cab and 1 into a 2x15 acoustic cab. I don't run it biamped, but I will see if I can dig up anything to help you out. I am very pleased with my sound, and its powerful enough to compete with 2 100 watt marshalls.

Good luck with it.

Originally posted by Slaerty:

Have a question though. ... I was using the speakeon connection but had trouble getting both boxes to work. I assumed that i could turn off the active crossover thingy but couldn't. How do you run yours. I ended up running one speakeon to one cabinet and then connecting both cabinets up to each other.

Any other hints or tips. (I guessI should read the manual)

I have a 700RB/112 combo. Yes, all the features are identical to the 1001 heads and combos except the power rating and possibly the number of speaker outputs.

You absolutely should be able to turn off the active crossover, or bi-amp system, with a small button located near the high and low (horn and woofer) volume knobs. If you do not turn off the biamp feature, and you are not using G-K RBH series cabs, you could potentially damage your new amp.

Remember that Speakon cables are 4-conductor cables, that are essentially like two speaker cables in one. With the G-K amp, one pair of conductors carries the signal from the large amp (250-340 watts on the 700RB, 350-540 on the 1001RB) to the woofers, the other pair carries the signal from the small 50 watt amp to the horns.

When you plug a Speakon cable from the 700RB head to a full range (non-biamp) cabinet, you must turn off the biamp feature, because other wise you won't hear any high frequencies and you'll have no speaker connected to the 50 watt amp. If you try to use the 50 watt amp, with no speaker connected to it, you might damage the 50 watt amp.

Also, be sure to check the ohm ratings on your two cabinets. The 700/1001/2001RB amps aren't designed to take less than a 4 ohm load. You cannot plug two 4-ohm cabinets into the speaker output jacks of the 700RB head , because that will give you a 2 ohm load. If your cabinets are 8-ohm, then you should be able to run both cabinets in parallel (each on its own speaker output jack).

I have a question now...I also have a 700rb and have had it for awhile now. In the manual it recommends turning on the..I believe Woofer X-over even if you're not running in Bi-amp mode. That's what I have done and I haven't had any problems. I'm running 1/4 in cables to a 15 and 4X10.

"Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine."

--Henry David Thoreau

I run my GK1001RB into my SWR WM4x10T cab with a 1/4 to 1/4 14 gauge speaker cable. I don't use the bi-amp, or speakons, so I won't be much help in that area.

I have found the best sound comes from a rather unorthodox set up...

I turn off the tweeter on the 4x10 cab, I set the woofer crossover so I'm actually not producing anything over 5000 Hz, I have all other tone and enhancement features set to the 12 o'clock position, and I run the amp's master control full out! I then control my volume by setting the pre-gain between 11 and 1 o'clock for all my loud band gigs. 12 o'clock there is usually ideal, too.

The GK amps are very clean, very mid-rangey, and have tons of headroom, so these settings seem to work very well, where as if I set up my Eden amp like this, it sounds like shit, and vice versa. It amazes me just how different sounding the Eden and GK are.

I really have come to like the clean punchy sound of my GK, however. Kind of funny, when most guys start with clean amps, and gradually get the desire to go to warmer sounding amps, like the Eden. I seem to be going the opposite way.

Excellent stuff Nige. Sounds like a better rig than the old yamaha fridge!! How heavy are your speakers? I picked up my EV quad recently and nearly shat!! 44kgs. A friend has a Nemesis quad which sounds quite good and is nice and light. Wouldn't be perfect for everything but suits her to a tee. What bass are you playing these days?

I agree with the parents and children comment. Pupil free days are awesome! Now, let's work on your grammar, where did you learn to read...Dubbo?!

I bought cheaper 'Classic' cabs from venue. They are loaded with celestions and are quite good. They are on my 'to be replaced' list, as the band progresses so will my gear. The main selling point on them is that they weigh about 30kg's each cab, and I have a dodgy back.

I'm playin a Ibanez soundgear 5 string SR 405. It's a great guitar but I think that I'm ready for some active pick ups. Is it much trouble to put actives in a passive bass or should i go through all the trouble of finding an active. Cos I really like the feel of my ibanez.

Was that old fridge a yamaha? Damm that was a big amp! Every ones first amp should be that loud and big. To tell the truth I have never missed that amp. Its only good point was the volume.

And gramma! I teach 7 year olds. If they write a coherent sentence I'm a happy man.

For everyone else, my amp sounds great. If you have one and want to use the bi-amp thing and you dont have the GK cabs there is a way to do it. I e-mailed the GK company and they sent me a tech advice on how to change your cab around. You need to be a tech to understand it though. I think it'll be too much trouble for me though.

Providence over serendipity any day.

First of all, I must say I love GK! A little strapped for money and playing only small gigs and some studio work, I opted for its little brother the 400RB-III with 115RBS and 210RBS cabs and I love the stack! Congratulations with your new baby!

I'm playin a Ibanez soundgear 5 string SR 405. It's a great guitar but I think that I'm ready for some active pick ups. Is it much trouble to put actives in a passive bass or should i go through all the trouble of finding an active. Cos I really like the feel of my ibanez.
Anyway, I do believe the SR405 comes equipped with active pickups, and they're mighty fine. You may want to look into a set of EMG's though.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

Originally posted by Slaerty:

If you have one and want to use the bi-amp thing and you dont have the GK cabs there is a way to do it. I e-mailed the GK company and they sent me a tech advice on how to change your cab around. You need to be a tech to understand it though.

Thanks for sharing the info, I might send G-K an email for those specs. I was considering trying it on my own anyways, because I like the sound of my 12" combo, but G-K doesn't make a 1 x 12" RBH cab and they've even discontinued the 700RB/112 combo. I imagine the procedure only involves adding a Speakon connector (if neccessary) to the cab, bypassing the internal cross over, and connecting the tweeter and the woofers to the proper connections on the Speakon connector. Might be an interesting experiment with an Aguillar or Nemesis 1 X 12" cab.

Archived