Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another one of those bass purchasing q's

Farfetched

Yea I'm thinking of getting another bass mostly because my friend works a guitar store and says he can probably get me a 25% discount (whether 25% off of new products is going to be cheaper than used stuff elsewhere is still to be determined.)

Right now I've got a MIM fender J- five. I'm thinking of upgrading to a fourstring american-J. Was wondering how the recent models-like 2000 and up compare to the more vintage ones.

as well what other guitars are in my price range (6-900 US)

thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lately, my impressions have been pretty favorable. There's a US J bass at a local dealer, for instance, with an ash body & maple fingerboard, & I think it's a lovely instrument to play. The reissues have been very nice, too. I recently bought a Japanese Fender J 70s reissue (the Geddy Lee model) & I think it's great. So I'd say go for it--play as many as you can & watch for the one that really lights you up.

Well, I got my Stingray brand new for $950 US, so, you can get a good bass for that kind of cash. Of course, it helps to be a good haggler. I had a 2000 American Deluxe Jazz 5 and it was great. If you can get one of those, I strongly suggest doing so. The 4's are just as nice. Just be sure to play as many as you can. The right bass will let you know. A friend of mine found a 76 Thunderbird at a pawn shop for $300 in perfect condition just last week. So, don't rule out pawn shops.

I played an active Jazz 5 a while back, and was pretty happy with it. definitel worth looking into if you're a Fender J fan. Already have a 5 string though, so my next is gonna be a 4.

hmmm... if I scrimp a little on the amp, maybe I can swing both... nahh. better not.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

A friend bought a new American made J 4 last year. I've played it and it is fine. Sound, feel, etc. all work well. And I've played it when I sat in with his band on a gig, so it's not a "practice only" test.

Having said that, there are many basses in that price range. If you really want a Fender, or that's all your friend can get you, go for it. Just look it over carefully before you take it...

Good luck!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived