Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Serial# database

MattC

Does anyone know of anywhere I could trace a serial number on a bass I just may purchase? The seller and his broker (my two guitarists) are fairly sure that it's a '75 P-bass, and it certainly looks the part, but I'd still love to find out for sure. TY
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And since we're on that topic, what would be a decent range on appraised values? The Neck and headstock show some wear, and the original finish has been painted (although I intend to restore that finish to a natural, tung-oil finish). I was promised $250 as a price, and they both knew that it was worth more;, I'm just curious how much more...

For the 70's Fender stuff and newer, the serial #'s run like this for the most part with the exception of some reissue Japanese products:

S = 70

E = 80

N = 90

Z = 2000

So the serial # is S478930 or something, the year is 1974. S + the first # after the letter gives you the production year. It should also be stamped in the neck heal if you care to remove it.

On an appraised value, most 70's P-basses I've seen are between $700-1000 given year, color rareness, and condition.

You can also try Fender's site "Mr. Gearhead". I think it's www.mrgearhead.com

Ok, I'll be the first one here to tout tone over labels such as "vintage," but this is driving me crazy. I've got the serial number from that bass; the number stamped on the neck heel is 0103-4945. It does not folow the aforementioned prefix dating scheme, and in fact, might be much older. Problem is, though, that I cannot find a reference anywhere for this numbering scheme. If there are any fender experts out there, please give me a hand!

Archived