Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Born in the uuuuuK

Partyboydan

Im a newbie uk bass player need some advice on expansion.

At current ive only got a vintage active 4 string bass(mmmmmm) and a peavey microbass.

Help

what should i get

i want to start gigging (small places) so im thinkin a 300w head and a 4x10 or 1x15 either or 2nd hand any advice

btw

i dont want to spend more thatn £450 or about $750

I say you strap a nuke to my forehead and i'll nut the smegger

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi i was in the same quandry as yourselfi bought a second hand laney hcm120b 15inch combo and it fits the bill perfectly no regrets about its just big enough not to be a problem to lug around and i love the tones i get out of it !

Hey Man - I have done hundreds of gigs up here in Glasgow and most Engineer's at gigs don't want the bass too loud on stage at any time. You probably only need about 200 watts and a 1x15. I have a 250w head and a new (2x15 not gigged yet.) and this should be more than enough for a large sized gig. :thu:

I agree with the smaller 200-250 wattt theory, although im getting a 400 watt 15 and a quad monster (thats got more to do with my ego than my needs though).

Get something with a DI out on it so if ya need to be louder ya can go direct to pa. Many believe it gives a fuller sound in the room if you Di anyway. I dont think many ppl use mics to milk the bass amps nowdays. Do they?

A question for u techos out there whats the difference between a DI and a Balanced XLR out.

Somethin for ya to consider.

Providence over serendipity any day.

Ta guys, i havnt bought anything yet.

My budget's £450 with v little variation, i was thinking a 2x10 and a head, and then build a 1x15 later on if i need it.

I was thinking a laney rbh800 300watt head £300 from flyinpigmusic.co.uk (cheap btw) but ive heard of someone who says that some laney gear isnt so reliable.

From the same place there is a 1x15 150 watt trace elliot combo, for £300, personally im inclined to go for a separates kinda rig, as it gives more flexibility.

ONce again any info for a newbie would be nice.

Ta

I say you strap a nuke to my forehead and i'll nut the smegger

Archived