Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Edgar Meyer

MattC

I'm sure that you all remember the PB article a few months back about Edgar Meyer, URB virtuoso? I just happened to see the CD the article referred to, the Bottestini Concertos, for the first time last night and bought it. I've got to say that it is truly great music, well worth the price. Amazing what a skilled player can do...
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of his older stuff is quite enjoyable to listen to... unfortunately, most are out of the catalog. I love "Strollin' with my Moose" on one of the older albums. Just fun, nothing serious, but the guy has some serious chops.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

One of my fellow teachers is married to the guy who was Edgar Meyer's stand partner in the Tennessee All State orchestra back in the day. He tells me that Mr. Meyer was always "that way!"

The most recent recording I have of Edgar Meyer is the Bach Cello Suites. I have to say that most of the time, when a bassist plays the cello suites it is pretty out of tune...and mostly just showing off.

This CD changes everything. Edgar Meyer plays real music on the cd...it is absolutely authentic, moving and amazing.

I like Appalachian Journey much better than Appalachian Waltz. It is better realized music...the first one (Waltz) is too much showing off.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Well, I didn't mean it THAT way. I like pyrotechnics as much as the next guy.

It was just an afterthought anyway. In the first one, the sound wasn't fully developed...in the absence of substance, they relied (to my taste) too much on technique. By the second album, the sound was more codified, more mature. More Musical. (Plus...the addition of James Taylor and Allison Krauss gives the album and incredible emotional center.)

Now, to invite "flame on" mode. Album one and Album two are like Satriani vs. Eddie van Halen. or...

No, no more comparisons. I was thinking of Brian Bromberg, Pattitucci, Michael Manring, Jaco, Ron Carter, Scott LaFaro and others....Even Mozart and Salieri, Gabrieli and Corelli....

But I'm not about to open the can of worms which of those I believe relies/d on smoke and mirrors and which produces moving music!

Suffice it to say that I believe the trio has improved their ability to write convincing music.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived