Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap cheap Kent Bass questions.

Soundcrafter

I have a friend who's had an old Kent bass lying around for a good while...I've said I might buy from him...for about $50. I'm considering this so I have my Ibanez 5 string and I'd like the Kent to turn into a fretless bass/bass to learn about the building side on. I think it resmbles this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2502906347&category=2384

Any advice about these basses?

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool lookin'... whats with the thumbrest on the bottom... ambidextrous? hmmmm.

For 50 buck its a good deal... I'd do it, just to have it... don't know if I'd want to experiment on a semi hollow body if I didn't know what I was doing tho... (and I don't.)

Bolt on neck so you should be ok messing with that part, if you're careful. Bet it would sound cool fretless.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

That's a finger-rest, so you can play with your thumb.

My only concern is that working with a hollow body may present challenges that a solid wouldn't. Especially at the neck joint....

I don't know anything about them....I'd get an ToneSuck pedal first :eek:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hehe, thanks for the advice...the bass isn't the one on that link. My friend doesn't know much and I'd seen Kent's on ebay before so I just showed him some pictures(hence the link) so I knew what kind he had. :)

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Alright, I have the bass now. It's got the original pre 1970's strings on it...they're very strange..plasticy...I'm thinking they're very similar to URB cat gut strings. The electronics on it will be an adventure for me as they are iffy in their working ness.

Hey patrick_dont_fret got any tips about converting it to fretless..such as how you did it to your bass?

-Mitch Hedberg

post a pic...

As far as teh frets... a friend of mine from way back who did the same thing just yanked them out with a vise-grip. Then he used Marine grade putty (ala Jaco) to fill the holes (and rather large chips.) Worked like a charm but you got to sand the crap out of that Marine-Tex to make it smooth. It's kinda like super Bondo on steroids.

Stewart Macdonald has a lot of fretting/defretting tools... check them out

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

My first electric was a Kent; they're definitely low-rent.

As with any guitar, it's really about the particular, individual instrument---is the neck straight enough? (or adjustable for action).

Everything else (fret positions, pickups) is irrelevent...you're turning it fretless & the pick-ups will almost certainly need to be replaced (as on any very cheap guitar or bass).

Archived