Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Victor Wooten

ManInTheBox

A couple of days ago, I saw a thread here, stating how good VW really is. I have seen his name in a shitload of magazines, so I decided to download some of his stuff(Kazaa) and see what all the hype was about. I downloaded six songs. one was a really great solo of Amazing grace. It is hard to believe one man was playing it on one instrument, but i saw stuHamm doing something similar, so I am sure it really was a solo.

But anyway, the other samples really showed off his technique, and I like the flashy stuff just as much as the next guy, but I would appreciate it if any of you could recommend some VW in more of a song setting. Maybe post a link, or just a few songs I shoould look for. Or even a CD.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a HUGE VW fan...

Get yourself 'Victor Wooten Live In America'. It shows off his talents in a major way as a band player and as a soloist, and it proves he's even better live than in the studio. If that's even possible!

It has also made me a HUGE JD Blair fan. (his drummer on the tours)

And you get to hear Vic with Marcus Miller, and Bootsy on the CD, too.

What more could you ask as a bass player?!

:D

Up close and personal with VW? Get VW live at Bass day 1998 video. He plays, demonstrates, talks about philosophies he adopts in mucic, answers questions from the audience, etc. You'd also find VW dueting with Oteil Burbridge.There couldn't be anything better to source if one wanna know who and what this great VW is about.

Get Bela Fleck's "Live Art" and give a listen to "Sinister Minister"

After you pick your jaw off the floor, play it again and again!!

And yea, "A show of Hands" is a damn good CD too!

From that Cd, it took me a long time to try and get "the Vision" learned into my head but it's one of my favorite solo songs on bass and I like to use it to warm up and practice.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Don't forget about his Ying Yang cd!! Also, there is a cd he did with bassist Steve Bailey and another cd with Vital Tech Tones. There is a tune on bassist Adam Nitti's cd called Ying & Yang! Talk about some serious shyt!!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Yea, I've got the Yin Yang CD and it's got some great stuff on it!

One of my favorite fast ones is "Hip Bop" and I like "Sacred place" because it's got such a rich texture.

Man, it's hard to choose though, because they're all good!

Another couple of great CDs are Bela Fleck's "Left of Cool" and the old one "Three flew over the cuckoo's nest"

I'd highly recommend both of those CDs for some examples of Vic's work.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Saw Bela Fleck some months ago in Amsterdam Melkweg. WAAUUW, must have been one of the most exciting concerts I've ever seen. I think VW shines the most (even more) just on the background, grooving, and now and then, pulling off the most amazing groovy fills. The latest Bela Fleck live dvd is also great. What a band.....

Personally, I'm not a slap tap flap hap guy. So, there is also a lot I like a little less. Hey, but that's personal. I own the bass extremes cd with steve bailey. Can't get used to the sound of Steve. Don't like that cd very much.

Originally posted by Jorg:

Saw Bela Fleck some months ago in Amsterdam Melkweg. WAAUUW, must have been one of the most exciting concerts I've ever seen.

A great venue, I played their with Bo Diddley and Lady Bo in 1987. :cool:

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Jorg:

I own the bass extremes cd with steve bailey. Can't get used to the sound of Steve. Don't like that cd very much.

Yeah, Steve plays fretless with a lot of effects. I like a clean fretless sound but I guess he's into experimenting right now. I like the cd just for the bass playing though.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Email me and I will set up a B&P for you (you send me blank re-writable CDs and a prepaid postage) and I will burn you some live Vic Wooten Shows or a Bela Fleck and the FLecktones show. (both bands allow taping of live performances and distribution)Both bands are actively traded in the trading community, check out places like furthurnet.org and etree.org for more live shows.

If youve never done a B&P before..check out this link first. http://www.mcnichol.com/bnp/

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Idnarb, as the moderator I am glad you are not doing anything improper or illegal.

But as a pirate-watcher, I'm aghast !!!! Where's the "pirating"??? The nasty "take no prisoners" activities?

bad pirate. bad!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by JDL:

Hey Idnarb, coul I send you one and you burn all the good solo work by Vic?(I already have a Bela Fleck and Flecktone CD)

Could You?

Should I e-mail you?

(No comment to Tom)

Peace,

JDL

Right now Ive got one VW solo show and a couple BF&F. Im working on downloading another VW solo as we speak. Check out my etree and email me with what you would like.

etree.org/idnarb <----list of tradable shows

captainidnarb@yahoo.com <----- email.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

• 2 weeks later...
Bela fleck and the flecktones live at the quick. I'd recommend the video, but it's available on cd as well. There's a BEAUTIFUL fretless solo on there where he's trading licks with the sax player. His last lick after they go through the soli section might sound kind of familiar - he quotes the head to continuum!

Archived