Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music -Vs- Sports

JDL

I know of course most of you would choose music. But, track is coming up and I don't know what to do. I wont be "giving up" music or anything remotely like that. I'm just saying, should I not do track, and have more time to practice?

Track would take up:

A.)Chamber orchestra time

B.)Time to get home/eat

C.)Energy

(Track starts on Feb.3)

This is my decision, but I need your opinions. So, have you ever had a situation like this? If so, what did you do?

Peace,

JDL

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I have. I did not like the fact that I had to stay 2 hours after the usual school day to do track. That's 10 hours out of my week doing it. Plus, there were so many jocks trying out that the coaches play favorites and stick you with something else. When you did get to play it was fun,but I don't think it's worth it.

The funniest thing happened last year. We got a coach fired because this guy Coach Neubauer (Coach Nooby) walked into the hot teachers math class,which I was in, snuck up behind Jordan Jones, this extremely hot girl, and snapped her bra strap. She didn't she who did it, but a few people saw and ratted him out. Sorry, I still get kicks out of that story, please forgive me.

You don't have to choose between them.

You are a person of wide-ranging interests and you should follow your interests.

Do both.

Sometimes you will have more time for track, sometimes you will have more time for music, there's nothing wrong with that.

I began swimming competively and playing music at approximately the same time.....age 10. That was 44 years ago.

Some years of my life I swam 3 1/2 hours a day, year round. (I swam for U of Michigan, division I, NCAA, I also swam that much senior year of high school)

Some years I practiced bass 5 hours a day. (From age 20 to 30)

But I have always done both. Currently I swim an hour a day. I still compete in swim meets, sometimes the morning after a late night gig. I am much healthier than the average musician my age and I have a wider range of friends.

Go for it! You will be a better person in the long run.

I ran track and played bass in high school. I played rugby and played bass in college. I played rugby, basketball, and bass the year I spent abroad living in Italy. I was a superstar at none of these things, but I could hold my own! I think that today I'm a more well-rounded person because of it, and like Jeremy said, my circle of friends and my social networks are wider because of it.

I still run, but only about 3 days/week. However, it's enough to race competitively in local 5K and 10K races. I'm in better shape than many of my peers. I do some of my best thinking when I'm running, and sometimes even come up with interesting basslines and/or melodies! When I'm running regularly I sleep better, I eat better, I think more clearly, I focus better, I'm less stressed out, and I'm more relaxed -- even if it adds yet another task to my busy life.

I still play bass. I play better than I did then. I'm funkier, groovier, and more "in the pocket." (Staying in shape helps keep that heavy StingRay5 from feeling so heavy!) Playing music helps me think more clearly, keeps me relaxed, and so on and so forth.

Do both. Yeah, there will be trade offs, but you will be a better and healthier human being as both a musician and a track-lete. Plus, you're in the Bowerman state -- how can you not do track?!?!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yeah, Jeremy's right (though he does hail from UM; I was a MSU fan 'till I spent 4 years at WMU; and years in K'Zoo is a lifetime anywhere else, hehe)...

Spread out and take those experiences with you as you grow older (and you WILL grow older!!).

You'll find the time to do both. All of our experiences help to make us complete...sheesh, that was corny sounding...whatever; do what you like to do NOW!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Here's a story for you......I was a baseball player since I was four years old. In high school, baseball was a year round event. I was in two bands and played on my high school baseball team. The Fall of my junior year, we had mandatory pitcher workouts. I informed my coach that I had a gig that night and told him I would be leaving a little early. Well, he wouldn't have it (mind you this was two seasons before baseball was actually gonna start). So I thought to myself, 'keep playing baseball, or do what feels right and play music?' Well, this is my 6th year as a bass player and my 4th as a guitar player and I'm happy to say I love music. Baseball may have got me into college but I knew it wouldn't last forever. Music will last forever. I would like to tell you to stick with both music and sports and see if you can handle the stress. Go for it! I regret quitting baseball occasionally, I know now that the only baseball I'll ever get to play again is the beer league softball when I'm older. Oh well, at least I can JAM!
"...it might be a quarter-life crisis" John Mayer, Why Georgia?

If you like track, do it. You won't get to run competively for too much longer so take advantage of the opportunity now. Music will always be there (it'll still be there while you're runnin' track too.)

Personally, I wish I spent more time on sports in my high school days instead of getting drunk and high all the time. As it is, I wasn't as good of an athlete I could've been. I also wish I started playing back then too, I didn't start until I was 19. Point is, be young, have fun, and do the things you enjoy . When you get old like me (27!) you won't have the time or opportunities that you have at your age.

Ah, nice marmot.

Yeah, football's harder than track. Track involves running. Football involves running, hitting, running, drills and more running. Two-a-days aren't cool either. Most importantly, you won't break any fingers running track.
Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Scootdog:

Yeah, football's harder than track. Track involves running. Football involves running, hitting, running, drills and more running. Two-a-days aren't cool either. Most importantly, you won't break any fingers running track.

Yeah, I know. Thats the cool thing I was thinking about. That, track would be easier. I had a brutal season of football that ended up with me spraining and eventually breaking my left-hand middle finger. :cry:

But, it is crooked now, but it doesn't hurt. Most of the people in the Lowdown know of this.

But, man I want a digital camera.

BTW, I still haven't gotten that pickguard, that ebay guy's a dick. Also, my bass is supposed to arrive from 1/24-2/7. Somewhere in there.

Peace out

I actually had some expiearence with this. was on the football team and thew wrestling team all through highschool, and on the vasity for each my junior and senior year. I have to admit that I was a pretty typical jock. oddly enough my junior year I got hurt wrestling and it was while I was hurt that I got board. ( it was my knee so I could not move around much) so I started to play bass because of friend of mine played guitar and we would jam together. however once I healed I kept up with sports and don't regret that. realistically unless you are really good you only get to play sports for so long in life, usually until the end of high school. but you can do music unitl the day you die. so I would say to do track. I have a lot of good memories from sports.

In clarification of my last post...I dunno what this is all about, for me, music is a lifestyle that envelopes nearly all other activities that I do on a daily basis. If you wanna do track, do it.. you're the only one that can decide what YOU want to do. Music isn't going anywhere, It won't leave you because you're interested in track.
...simply stating.

Do both.

When I was in High School, I was part of the weightlifting class there, and did some long distance (endurance) running. I have kept with the weightlifting to a moderate degree, but I don't do long distance running. In its place, though, I have a hydraulic stepper, some dumbbells, and when the weather's good (which is not much right now because of the dreaded cold spell that's been here in the US East Coast :( ), I do some jogging or speed walking. Occasionally, I do some tennis, and maybe someday I might skateboard a little again, though not as radically as I did in HS, trying to do every trick in the book .

I'll freely admit that I'm not quite in the same shape as I used to be in HS, but I don't get winded too easily either. My muscles were a bit beefier in HS; I'm going for a more toned look these days, as opposed to being the RipMaster. As long as I can do something about it, I'm pretty happy. :)

Go for it.

Thanks Wally for that link, and tazzola. I'll try and juggle all this stuff:

Chamber orchestra, jazz band and track, and they're all after school and one of these instructors will have to be paitent and understanding towards me in order to do it. Track is four days a week after school(4:00-5:00), mon-thurs. and track meets on thursdays.

Chamber orch. is from 4:00-5:00 on thursdays

and Jazz band is monday from 4;00-5;00, or wednesday from 4;00-5;00

its gonna be busy

Hi, I'm new here but had to chime in on this one. I'd say do both definitely if you can work it into your schedule. I played football in school and I've been into whitewater kayaking for years. With the winter weather where I live there's only about 5 - 6 months out of the year when it's possible to kayak so I still get plenty of time on my bass and with my band. Of course I don't make a living with my bass and never will so your goals may require a different level of commitment than mine. Personally I've always found those who lock themselves away in a dungeon for years because nothing can take away potential practice time a little scary, in need of a little balance but hey... whatever works I guess.

I am currently playing basketball and bass at the same time, it's a big challenge, and I am wondering if I am up to it sometimes. The fact is, you CAN do both, but i have come to realize that if you want to get really good at one or another, you have to concentrate more on one than the other. You will improve in both, but you can't reach your full potential if your time is divided. I know you prolly don't have a plan for a future in track, so you can concentrate on bass later, it just depends on you, and how you want your future laid out. You may not plan to go on further with bass either, i don't know you. So, my point is through all this rambling, that concentrating on one will get you farther in that than doing both.

~Ryanne

(well, i just read this over, and i am very confusing. haha. i make a good point you just have to read it a few times.)

Well, Ryanne, I'm not planning on ever "giving up" bass.

But, it depends on how track goes. If I like it and its not too tough, than I'll do it for how long I see fit. But, if it is as brutal and draining as football, then I'll stick with bass(and viola).

(BTW-Bob, Gollihur, whats the best deal you can get me on an URB?)

Peace out

Archived