Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Refinishing my J-bass.

IanSanX

How would I go about refinishing my bass? should I take it somewhere to get it re-done, or is there a way to do it at home? What kind of paints should I use? Or should I use paint at all? Is there a certain kind of finish I should use?

I'm not going to do this for a long, long time (I just got the bass, and I'm perfectly happy with it), but I was just wondering.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it all depends on how you want it finished. Do you want a solid color, a burst, a transparent finish or natural? You have to make that decision before you start gathering materials, as each will have different materials. Also, the final finish will dictate which method you use to strip it. The safest way to strip it is some good ol' elbow grease and sandpaper.

When you say "refinish my bass", we're assuming you mean the body. Look at the various parts sites, and you'll see all the tools/supplies that you'll need. I'm not sure about bursts and such (that might be beyond your first-time abilities), but with some care you can refinisht the body and have it look great !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I stripped my bass with some paint stripper spray stuff my mom had stocked up in the shed. Quite destructive stuff, as my fingers can attest after I was done stripping. After that, I took some heavy grade sandpaper and took off a few layers of wood, then I polyurethaned the entire thing, except the back of the neck...that I sanded with 220 grit.

The polyurethane let the natural colors show through bright and true. You may want something else. Check out http://www.stew-mac.com/ for ideas...or http://www.warmoth.com/ for some others.

I'd like to thank all you do-it-at-homers for lowering the value of my three vintage basses (63 t'bird, 66 jazz & 77 p-bass) to the point where I could afford them. Seriously. Someone stripped, but never bothered to repaint the p-bass, and I snatched it up for $300.00. Had it professionally painted sea-foam green, with a white mother of pearl pickguard and it looks like a million bucks.

Some nut spray-painted the jazz with metal flake red, complete with drips and runs. Bought it for $40.00, had it professionally repainted cream white for that yellowed look (already had a red tortoise shell pickguard) and it, too, looks like a million bucks.

The t'bird had been professionally refinned to hide a crack in the headstock, and it STILL cost me a grand. Can't get one of those with the original finish for less than 2 grand anymore.

If you must refinish it, let somebody who paints guitars for a living do it. It's incredibly difficult to get right just tinkering in your garage.

Chris

Originally posted by Mr. Bassist:

I'd like to thank all you do-it-at-homers for lowering the value of my three vintage basses (63 t'bird, 66 jazz & 77 p-bass) to the point where I could afford them.

I bought my first Fender that way too... it was an old (but in great shape) Tele (don't kow the year, didn't care at the time) someone had stripped and oiled it and added a home-made steel pickguard that they had acid etched... overall it looked pretty good... picked it up for under $200 Canadian about 15 years ago.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Archived