Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tonight (1/17), live in NYC -- Marcus Miller!

_Sweet Willie_

Party people:

Tonight there are two sets at the Bottom Line in NYC, 7:30pm and 10:30pm, featuring the Jamaica All-Stars -- including Marcus Miller, drummer Lenny White, and other terrific musicians. :thu:

Tix are on the steep side -- $35. But hey, how often does Marcus come to town these days? And, I think some of the $$$ go to benefit a Queens community theater. So get out and support the arts!

You can get some more info here . :D

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Livin' vicariously thru my NYC LDL pals, of course! I did already enlist some of my hometown NYC buddies and family members to get out to the show, so I've got the vicarious thang goin' full steam.

I'm also pushing this show because I believe that they're gonna play some music written by recently deceased Weldon Irvine, Jr. (so, a tribute in some sense to his work) -- a formidable jazz pianist and keyboardist who has roamed the worlds of jazz, funk, rare groove, hip hop, soul, and more (and who played w/ these Jamaica All-Stars in Queens -- yes, even played a significant role in Marcus' development and growth as a bassist and musician). Therefore, it's an opportunity to hear some music that isn't currently in play, but had some meaningful influence on many other musicians who we love.

Peace.

spreadluv

I went to the early show and it was great. I went alone ( the better half was out with the girls from work ) and was able to get a seat in the front section of the Bottom Line smack right in front of Marcus Millers amp which he stood in front of all night. He has the fastest right thumb on the planet.

As you all know he is a gifted player who just funks the crap out of everything he plays.

He played his J Bass through an EBS rig 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 set up with a high powered EBS head.

It sounded great.

He played one of his classics and the rest where songs performed by The Jamacia Boys. A very talented group of players. Billy Cobham's brother was on trumpet.

The show was a dedication / benefit for a musician / mentor from Jamaica Queens and a local theater group. There was a good turn out and some very nice dedications. A very well done evening with good music and a very appreciative crowd.

I actually got to shake his hand and say hello to him at the end of the night hoping that some of his FUNK would rub off on me -- I checked over the weekend and it has not kicked in as of yet....... :D

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by 57pbass:

I went to the early show and it was great.

Thanks, 57p, for satisfying my vicarious needs. I'm glad that you found the experience exciting and worthwhile. :D:thu:

Originally posted by 57pbass:

I actually got to shake his hand and say hello to him at the end of the night hoping that some of his FUNK would rub off on me -- I checked over the weekend and it has not kicked in as of yet....... :D

My understanding is that FUNK RUB takes some time to settle in and then activate, and that the timing of this process varies from individual to individual. Hopefully it will kick in for you before you are too old and too feeble to hold up the neck of your bass... I do believe, however, that practice can accelerate the process. ;):P

spreadluv

Archived