Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...As the crowd goes wild, you hit that B string, and....FART!!!!!

patrick_dont_fret

Well, I've never played in front of an audience before, as most of you know. But lately, I've been having these farting noises emanating from my amp when I hit that B. I've tryed realigning the cones with the ole battery trick, but it's not working. It still farts, like a bad flanger set on destruction.

I play through an SWR LA-12 combo. Is it just the fuse that needs replacing, something else, or do I need to ditch the whole thing and go for something else? I've been looking at one of the Carvin combo amps for a while, but I won't be able to get it until I pay off all the repairs on my car, and find a new job... Ugh, it seems like everything is breaking right now, and it sucks big ones. HELP!!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buy a 1000W amp? Okay, that may not be the feasible fix, but it's probably the most sure-fire one. Has you're amp always done this? Any changes at all in settings/setup or anything else when you first noticed it?
Ah, nice marmot.

Go get a gig... slacker. ;)

Do you have an active pre-amp in your bass? If so, have you checked the battery? When the battery starts to go on you, this behavior can be a side effect. You also could be over-driving your amp with low-end. Meaning, you have the "bass" knob on your instrument turned way the hell up and when you start to play really low notes (like your open B and notes in that general area) the signal overdrives the amp to a point of distorted yuck. You won't have this problem when playing higher on the neck, because there inherently isn't as much low-end up there.

Originally posted by Scootdog:

Buy a 1000W amp? Okay, that may not be the feasible fix, but it's probably the most sure-fire one. Has you're amp always done this? Any changes at all in settings/setup or anything else when you first noticed it?

Well, when I first bought the amp, I was playing only a 4 stringer. I bought the 5er right before Mars went kaputt!, and it's just started verrrry recently. It's really making me mad, too, as I like a verrrry clean sound, unless I'm using effects.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Go get a gig... slacker. ;)

Do you have an active pre-amp in your bass? If so, have you checked the battery? When the battery starts to go on you, this behavior can be a side effect. You also could be over-driving your amp with low-end. Meaning, you have the "bass" knob on your instrument turned way the hell up and when you start to play really low notes (like your open B and notes in that general area) the signal overdrives the amp to a point of distorted yuck. You won't have this problem when playing higher on the neck, because there inherently isn't as much low-end up there.

I'm working on that first point, but I need a band first...

As for the other, yes, I have an active preamp. 2-band, if that makes a difference. I have the bass cranked, yes, as I like the bass being so. The bass on the amp is cranked pretty high, too...should I turn that down? And I checked the battery the other day, and it's fine.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

As for the other, yes, I have an active preamp. 2-band, if that makes a difference. I have the bass cranked, yes, as I like the bass being so. The bass on the amp is cranked pretty high, too...should I turn that down? And I checked the battery the other day, and it's fine.

Flatten the EQ on your bass pre-amp completely. Now adjust your amp's EQ settings until you get the sound you want. Use the bass EQ for slight adjustments.

*Note* by "flatten" your EQ, I mean set it to the middle; so you're not cutting or boosting the signal at all. the "neutral" position, if you will.

Flatten the EQ on your bass pre-amp completely. Now adjust your amp's EQ settings until you get the sound you want. Use the bass EQ for slight adjustments.

Word. I've read and talked to other bass players (I used to be one of them) who kept the bass and/or treble knobs at 10 or 0 all the time. Instead, keep 'em at/near 5 and dial in the tone you want w/ the amp. This way you can quickly give a boost/cut during parts of a song.

Oh, and Bump, still waiting for you to talk me into the Ashdown RPM1 on my " Pre-amp Shopping! " thread!

Ah, nice marmot.

I'm with Big Daddy Bump -- watch out with those low freqs. They'll eat up headroom like a mutha -- especially on an LA12 combo which doesn't have tons of wattage to begin with.

OR, get that 1000W rig Scoot mentioned and make everyone's bowels loosen when you hit your low B!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

*Note* by "flatten" your EQ, I mean set it to the middle; so you're not cutting or boosting the signal at all. the "neutral" position, if you will.

Hmmm, I may have to try that. Thing is, I've turned the volume all the way down on the amp, and it was still the same volume. The amp is good for nighttime practice with headphones anymore...

I'll give it a try, though. And I know what flattening is...that's one of the first things I learned. As for a new amp...hahahaha, that'll have to wait til after school starts and I've payed off the almost $800 I'm going to have to put into my car, but that'll have to wait til after I get a job. Life is really sucking right now...of course, with Bush at the wheel right now, we might not have anything to worry about for the rest of our lives, because we won't have any!!! Yay, widespread death!!!

Boosting the bass on the bass and the amp may sound cool now but unless you're solely playing dub or reggae through good PA systems it'll turn to mud once you're gigging. Furthermore, you're probably boosting the low-end by about 20dB which means that your amp is being asked to deliver 100x the power in the low frequencies than it would with the EQ set flat. Yes, one hundred times! Consequently your amp is running out of power and clipping - hence that lovely farting noise.

So if that huge bassy sound is really what you want you'll need to get some deep sounding cabs and lots of power to drive them, otherwise flatten off the EQ and enjoy your new-found headroom.

Alex

You're asking an awful lot from an LA-12. That amp is basically a really nice practice amp. Pretty much useless for performances, except maybe while accompanying very low volume acoustic acts.

In my opinion, if you play electirc bass, 300 watts and an efficient speaker cab is what you are going to need on stage. 400 watts and up is desired. And in your case, with a B string and a penchant for boosted low-end, it's a given.

You've got a nice practice amp there, now start your quest for a stage amp.

All during the '70s and '80s, I played thru either a single 15" speaker or a Sunn cabinet with 2X15" speakers set in reflex, and the lows were unbelievable! I know that money's tight but, when you go looking for an amp or speaker, I can't praise 15" speakers enough. They'll hit you right in the chest and, for the type of playing I like (lowdown - not a soloist), they're just perfect.

Good luck,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Flemtone: Yeah, the next time I get an amp it will most definitely be a 15"er. I'm looking at one of the Carvin amps, they seem promising.

As for the farting, I checked the battery, and it's fine. I set everything flat, and readjusted the settings on the amp. I cut the volume to 25%, the bass to about 60%, mids to about 50%, and highs to about 50%. On the bass itself, I ended up boosting the bass to 50% to cover for the cut volume. It sounds great.

As it turns out, I learned a new song out of the whole thing, too. I was listening to a Widespread live set in which they cover "Stir it Up" by Marley, and after I was done tweeking, I started playing it...it took a while to get down, but it sounds pretty good to me.

Hopefully, I'll be out of the slump, as things are looking up now. Thanks again, all.

Archived