Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SWR 350 vs. SWR 350x

Adrian Smith

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe that the power ratings are the same. The two heads look different, and the 350 has had a couple of different looks (older redface, then a black w/ chrome, maybe something else between). As 57p stated, the 350X has the subwave feature. I haven't tried it, but sometimes having a built in octaver can be cool if it tracks well. I like the "sub harmoniser" in the Ashdown heads, but like I said, I don't have any experience with the "subwave" feature of the SWR 350X.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by 57pbass:

While we are on the SWR topic --

I just traded in some gear for a used/3 month old SM 500.

What did you sacrifice? How do you like the SM-500? What inspired your change in gear?

And, of course, congratulations on getting some new (to you!) gear!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I traded in an old SWR Stereo 800 power head, an old Interstellar Overdrive Pre with the pedal and a GK Micro Bass head straight up no cash exchanged.

This was gear I never used which I purchased used -- so everyone is happy.

Too much power on the SM 800 and too little power on the GK.

I have been using the SM 400 for about 8 / 9 years and it always worked well for me.

I sold it during the summer.

This was a good deal and I will use this head much more than the high /low powered stuff.

Plus I was glad to get rid of it.

The SM 500 head is perfect for me it has the power I need and sounds good. Thanks ....

www.danielprine.com

Yo...

I also have the SM-500. I love it. Plenty of power and tone shaping in just two rack spaces. Booyah.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Just a quick word about the SWR's Subwave effect...

I recently aquired a SWR 750x head which has the same effect as the 350x and I'd say it's quite ok. I used to have an EBS Octabass pedal and compared to that the SWR's Subwave is all in all quite ok, it gets the job done nicely.

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Thanks for the help. Both amps are the same price, I was just wondering if there was a significant advantage to buying the latest and greatest 350 incarnation. I never bought an octaver on my own so I guess I really don't want one... but more knobs to play with can be fun. :D

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end.

--King Crimson

Most important - Make sure that 350 watts will be enough power for you. You might need more juice in the future so if you are dropping 800 or 900 dollars you might spend a few more bucks and get something more powerful. You can always add effect pedals at any time.

I guess it also depends on if you will ever use this effect. You might also say;

How did I ever play without it ??

On the 350X you can bypass the effect and it comes with a footswitch. I would go with the newer model if they are priced the same - more bang for the buck.

Good Luck its a nice head. I considered buying it but I need a little more power so I picked up the SM 500 as mentioned earlier. :)

www.danielprine.com

Archived