Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hi! The noobie has a question or two...

Adrian Smith

Hello, I love wasting time at work by finding forums for my interests, here is yet another!

Been playing bass for over 10 years, finally time to upgrade my amplifier from a crappy Crate BX100. I am considering two at this point: an SWR Workingman's 15, and the SWR Super Redhead. Is twice the price really worth it? Convince me to spend my money... :D Also, the best amp I have ever played on was the David Eden Metro. How does the Super Redhead compare? I have a Fender American Standard P-bass in case anyone is wondering.

Thanks for any help, this looks like a good forum!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end.

--King Crimson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the two SWRs, I'd DEFINITELY go with the Super Redhead. Much better tone in my opinion. I personally own an Eden CXC-300 combo, and I'd probably prefer Eden over the SWR, but either are a good choice. If possible, play both and decide for yourself. After all, you're the one who will be using it!

What bass do you play?

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

I have a Super Redhead. I really dig it. I ended up choosing it over the Eden Metro. However, it was no easy choice. I really liked the sounds of both (although they differ). The Metro has two channels, which can definitely come in handy. The Super Red is just a little smaller in terms of dimensions, and has this nifty single rackspace. Both are big combos -- not the easiest to tote around.

I think the Super Red is better than the Workingman's 15, but the two certainly provide somewhat different sounds, even if both SWR. What's your playing situation? The Work 15 is more portable than the Super Red, but has less power.

I bought my Super Redhead used via a Harmony Central gear classified ad for about $900. The seller paid for shipping (big deal since it's one heavy combo to ship across the country!) and threw in an Aphex Aural Exciter in the rackspace as well.

However, do not overlook the possibility of getting a separate head and a 2x10 or 1x15 cab! In retrospect, I have found the Super Red a load to move around (even with casters), and would prefer to have separates (a head and either a 2x10 or a 1x12 cab).

If you use the "search" function on this board, you will find a number of posts about th Workingman's combos, the Super Redhead, and the Metro.

Good luck.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Adrian Smith:

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm not going to go for the Workingman's 15, but now I have to decide if I want the Redhead or a 350 head with a 2x10 or 4x10 cab. :D

The 410 cab would likely be as heavy as the combo. I'd go for the 210 and add another cab later on if you choose that route.

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by bassplayer7770:

Originally posted by Adrian Smith:

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm not going to go for the Workingman's 15, but now I have to decide if I want the Redhead or a 350 head with a 2x10 or 4x10 cab. :D

The 410 cab would likely be as heavy as the combo. I'd go for the 210 and add another cab later on if you choose that route.
If portability is an issue, I agree -- go with a head and a 2x10. Then you can add another 2x10 later if you need it, or can even consider other options like adding 1x15. And, in honor of Tom Capasso, I'll point out that a nice quality 1x12 might even work better for you than a 2x10, and be more portable.

If portability isn't a big deal, and you need the added oomph a 4x10 provides, you can go with a 4x10 or get one of those large combos!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Never did a comparison of my Metro with SWR equipment but like my Metro. I have started looking at separates and will check out as many preamps as I can at the NAMM show this weekend. No matter what way I end up going I'll most likely keep the Metro. At times I've added one or two additional cabs when needed and the Metro powers them with no problem.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Thanks for the intro, Sweet Willie.

I love my Super Redhead. Plenty of power and a great tone. I use the cover as a tilt back stand to angle the speakers up toward me. I find that this also helps with the low end as well. It's rated at 350 watts, 450 with an extension cabinet. It's a very versatile amp. I do a lot of session work and I bring her along with me. Handles everything from blues to rock to country to jazz. It is a little heavy and awkward, but, I find it's a lot easier than my old rig, which was a Mesa 400+ and a Peavy 8x10. The SWR has more tone and almost as much power in a much smaller package. I can't compare it to the Eden Metro, as I've never played one. I hear they're comparable amps, with a slight advantage to the SWR in terms of power. My main band was a loud, blues/rock band and my amp never gave me any problems and held tight with the guitarist's Soldano.

I got mine off of Ebay for $910, shipping included, but I got jipped because I didn't get the Aphex. I'm really looking into getting one of those puppies, but, I'll add that to the list of an Acme B2 and a good, clean power amp.

Archived