Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The impending iamp800 1x12" combo

alexclaber

How loud will it be? I'm wondering if it'll be loud enough to replace two Low-B2's powered by a 500W/side Mackie amp. That may sound crazy but if the stats are correct it should be - has anyone heard one yet (or tried out the iamp into a Cxl12)? (Bob?)

Waiting and wonderin'...

Alex

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by alexclaber:

How loud will it be? I'm wondering if it'll be loud enough to replace two Low-B2's powered by a 500W/side Mackie amp. That may sound crazy but if the stats are correct it should be - has anyone heard one yet (or tried out the iamp into a Cxl12)? (Bob?)

Waiting and wonderin'...

Alex

I have played the CXL-112 with the iAMP 350, but I haven't received my iAMP 800 yet- some were built last week and I'll expect some after I return from my NAMM music convention sojourn.

The 112 with iAMP 350 can get very loud, and I'm sure with more than twice as much power it will be quite impressive -- and it's very clean and distinct, like the other EA stuff. I would put a CXL-112 up against some 2x10 cabinets, but certainly not against four tens. One has to realize that the spl spec is measured from one meter, and really isn't a valid comparative to judge how much air a cabinet will move or how loud it will sound in a given open area.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Esteemed moderator Bob G. carries EA gear and might be able to help you out with a good answer. Remember, you get some added oomph from the coupling of those two B2s together and have more drivers pumping. However, I haven't looked at the iAmp specs (for the combo or the separates). Also with the two B2s you can stack them one on the other for a skinny 4x10 tower which can do some cool things for the projection of your sound or set them up on either side of a stage for stereo sound...thus, if you're thinking about a gear change, you have a variety of issues to play with beyond pure volume.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks for that Bob (and SW). I had the same suspicion myself, that it may be loud but won't sound as big (two B2's sound huge because they have so much LF response and really move air). I was thinking that I might be able to get away with the combo most of the time until I can afford to get a Cxl12 extension cabinet, this giving me a 2x12" stack. Of course it all depends on price for the combo - there's no point selling two Acmes and buying one EA cab if I still have to cart my rack around (which is a killer to move). Have you any idea how much the iamp 800 combo will cost?

Cheers,

Alex

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by alexclaber:

Ouch!!!

Ditto. That's Aguilar land! ;)
Interesting way to look at things - I guess Aguilar amps are the poshest valvey ones, but (Walter Woods aside) I've alway though of EA as the creme de la creme for clean 'hi-fi' tone, both amps and cabs (ok maybe not as amazing tone-wise as Acme's but much more efficient).

I think I'll stick with the Acmes until I can afford enough CXL-112's to move comparable quantities of air - in the live environment that huge sound is very much part of my tone, it wraps round the band AND punches through the mix just like those big P-funk bass sounds.

Alex

Archived