Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on which amp to get.

Slaerty

I'll also offer some support for the G-K 700/1001RB amps. I play through a G-K 700RB 1x12" combo. It's louder than any 1x15" combo or amp/cab set-up I've ever been around. It's got a clean, punchy, bright sound that I love. It even handles low B's from my 5-string fairly well. It's front panel DI also records well.

I'm not a big fan of the "warm" tube pre-amp sound. What most people call warm, I call muddy.

I will make one suggestion, if you go with a G-K 700/1001/2001RB head, be sure to use the matching G-K RBH cabs. G-K's cheaper 'rbs' cabs, and cabs from other manufacturers, can't make use of the 700/1001/2001RB's unique bi-amp set-up.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But to play devil's advocate here...

The GKs are not always suitable for those adore a nice tube pre-amp sound...

Tone-wise I MUCH prefer my Eden WT300 head over my GK-1001RB, but for loud gigs, with respectable tone, and HUGE headroom and punch, the GK-1001RB is where it's at for me.

Ideally, of course, I'd be using an Eden 410 XLT cab, an Eden Navigator pre-amp, and a monsterous power amp. But that rig only exists in my dreams for now, so I'll continue to switch back and forth between the GK-1001RB, and my Eden WT300, depending on whether killer tone, or killer punch and headroom are the priority for each particular gig.

I have used the Eden's pre through the GK as a power amp. That's a pretty nice compromise, too.

Originally posted by Edendude:

If you do buy an SWR Workingman's set up, get the 4x10 cab, instead of the 1x15. The 4x10 sounds better in every way! It's louder, punchier, and has a lot more low end. Seriously!

I'll go you one better: get the SWR Triad cabinet. One 15", one 10", and a tweeter. Frequency range from 37Hz to 17kHz. Basses sound huge through it - and you ought to hear what an acoustic guitar sounds like through one. Oh mama.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Edendude:

If you do buy an SWR Workingman's set up, get the 4x10 cab, instead of the 1x15. The 4x10 sounds better in every way! It's louder, punchier, and has a lot more low end. Seriously!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll go you one better: get the SWR Triad cabinet. One 15", one 10", and a tweeter. Frequency range from 37Hz to 17kHz. Basses sound huge through it - and you ought to hear what an acoustic guitar sounds like through one. Oh mama.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Those cabs would be perfect but to give you an idea of what the exchange rate does to the price. I could buy a 15' 400 watt cab and a 600 watt quad made in oz with celestion speakers for the same price as the SWR 4 x 10 400 watt cab. The Triad 1 is another $500 more expensive than that.

I ordered a Gallien Kreuger 700Rb head with a local quad and a 15. I also got a yorkville 50 combo practice amp, which arrived today. I couldnt get a quote on the 1001rb because there wernt any in-country. As it is I'll wait 4-6 weeks for the GK700rb to land on our sunny shores.

As for the GK cabs being the best to use the bi-amp thing - i wish i knew that before i ordered the other cabs. Oh well. If I went with GK cabs i would have only been able to get one any way.

Out here bass gear is much more expensive and less widely avaliable but damm we got some good beaches. :wave: thank you all again for your advice and help. I'll repost in 6 months when its time to get a new guitar.

Providence over serendipity any day.

Slaerty...

With 340 watts into 4 ohms and 225 watts into 8 ohms, and gobs of headroom, I think you'll be pleased with the GK-700RB. And if you find it's front-end is a little too clean and clinical sounding, you can always pick up a tube pre-amp later.

Let us know your impressions of your set up, after you've played a few gigs with it, dude.

Archived