Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Warwick Rock Basses

JDL

Ah, the Warwick rock bass. I'm talking about the Corvette Classic. It sounds awesome to those with shallow pockets. Thats me. As some of you know, I was interested in Spector basses, but what about the Warwick rock basses? Any experience? I mean, just look at it(click link), and for only $529.99

http://www.warwickrockbass.com/corvetteclassic.htm

JDL-Warickrocks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played one in a store recently, and thought it was pretty good. I'd try one first - the preamp sounds aren't the same as the German Warwicks.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I played a Rockbass Corvette Classic @ Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI a while back. I should prolly play more to compare but the one I played just sounded DEAD! Short sustain, not much punch, sub par low end. Really disappointing for a "Warwick made" bass. It could've just been the one I picked up but I was very disappointed.

Originally posted by JDL:

Tom, do you mean totally varied preamp sound , or just slightly less preamp sound?

It just sounded different. I didn't have both types next to each other to compare. Here in NY, Sam Ash carries Rockbass while Guitar Center carries the "original" line.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Originally posted by JDL:

Tom, do you mean totally varied preamp sound , or just slightly less preamp sound?

It just sounded different. I didn't have both types next to each other to compare. Here in NY, Sam Ash carries Rockbass while Guitar Center carries the "original" line.

Tom

Oh, well what other stores carry the Rock Bass? The closest shop I have that is around me is Guitar Center. Can't they order anything?

JDL:0

pat, you think the Peavey Cirrus sounds good? I'm not saying it doesn't, but I have a Peavey and it doesn't sound "friggn awesome." So how much is the Cirrus. And Mc Quaid, yeah the Thumb Bass sounds awesome! I don;t know wbout the Flagship, but the Fortress' are nice, too.

JDL-stillwantz more opinions on the rock basses from Warwick

JDL, the Peavey Cirrus is AMAZING! They have the most increible array of tones. They get that midrange growl better than any other bass I've played. With Peavey's active circuit you can make it sound like anything though. From a P-bass to a Jazz bass to pseudo-fretless tone. It's just a great bass. Peavey is a great manufacturer. The Cirrus is great, the Millenium series are wonderful too and the Rudy Sarzo signatures are quite nice for a little less money too. Peavey's lower models aren't great but still, for beginner basses are very nice.

I believe you asked how much the Cirrus is. Well, it depends. The Cirrus finishes are just different type of exotic wood tops or entire bodies of exotic woods. So they vary in price. A basic Bubinga, Flamed Maple or plain Walnut basses are usually around $1200 new, the more expensive bodies such as an entire body of wenge can be around $1500 from what I've seen. You can usually find a Cirrus new for $800-$1000 pretty easily and they are WELL worth it!

JDL, I think they are good basses for the money.

I recently went up to GC and saw the Classic Corvette in sunburst, and man,it looked amazing. Nice AAA maple top. Sound wise, I think the pickups are the ones they use on all Warwicks. They were very quiet, and the preamp isn't terrible. The only thing (cosmetically) that I would change is that: I gotta have fret indicators on the board.

I really loved the feel. The heel is very nice.Easy access to upper register.

I want one too

:love:

Originally posted by Wickerman:

the Millenium series are wonderful too

are usually around $1200 new, the more expensive bodies such as an entire body of wenge can be around $1500 from what I've seen. You can usually find a Cirrus new for $800-$1000 pretty easily and they are WELL worth it!

Dang! I don't have that kind of money, but sounds nice. By the way, I found a Millenium fro about $125 at a hock shop.(I dont remember it exactly, but that's what I remember.) Is that a good deal?

I gotta have fret indicators
Actually, I like tht the fret indicators aren't there, it gives it a certain class. You know?

JDL-spicy

JDL, no, that Millennium would prolly be in bad condition or something. A Peavey Millennium goes for about $900 new or around $600 used in good condition. I can't imagine what would have to be done to one to take it down to $125. They list for $1250 for the lowest model. Most shops sell a four string Millennium w/ flamed maple top for about $900 new... You can find them used at shops or at musicgoround.com or do a search in eBay\'s Basses section.

if it is in good condition, though, it's a killer deal, which is what pawn shops are all about.

i've changed my tune on the peavey cirrus, and it's not because they're now my employers. :)

i was talking to a friend of mine here who said that there was a problem with the pickups on the cirrus that nobody noticed for a long time. i think it was one of those units that i played and thought sounded like poo.

i played a cirrus the other day and had a lot of fun doing so -- very versatile tones, which is quite the opposite of the one i had played before. also, before i wasn't playing a solid bubinga cirrus.

as for the rock basses sounding different from the german-made warwicks, i imagine the difference in woods has a great deal to do with it. going from bubinga and wenge to ash and maple is a very big change.

robb.

works for peavey, but isn't a "company man".

JDL, no, that Millennium would prolly be in bad condition or something. A Peavey Millennium goes for about $900 new or around $600 used in good condition. I can't imagine what would have to be done to one to take it down to $125. They list for $1250 for the lowest model. Most shops sell a four string Millennium w/ flamed maple top for about $900 new... You can find them used at shops or at musicgoround.com or do a search in eBay\'s Basses section.

Well, nothings wrong with it, so its probably not aMillenium, maybe it was another one. But it was hanging on a hanger, so I could see it. It looked good and played good, I liked the neck. But,I already have a Peavey and I'm not satisfied with it, I want to sell it. It is a Peavey Dynabass from late 80's early 90's with a slim, slim neck, good, tone. The only reason I want to sell it is because I need a bass with less string tension and other reasons that (if interested) I will share with you, but for now...............

JDL-didnt see a Millenium, or did he?...........

Here's a typical price for a brand new Peavey Milennium four string. $779 for a four string with active electronics, three band eq, flamed maple top and all... Click Here Great basses. Usually the four string models are about $750-$850 depending where you find look. Used prices I've seen are usually about $450-$600 depending on the specific model.

I came across a Warwick the other day at the local shop. See thru green paint scheme upon it it had. It launched a thousand ships in my heart.

$890 price tag it also had. :eek:

Bastards

:evil:

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Here's a typical price for a brand new Peavey Milennium four string. $779 for a four string with active electronics, three band eq, flamed maple top and all... Click Here Great basses. Usually the four string models are about $750-$850 depending where you find look. Used prices I've seen are usually about $450-$600 depending on the specific model.

Yeah, I guess I didn't see it, but maybe it was a Fury or some other lower line Peavey. By the way, the Millenium looks like my Dynabass. Except that it is with a red gloss finish, but the headstocks look the same. Mine's red, and thats blue and that one is newer and mine's older. So what :confused: Well, that does look like a nice bass and Mike, yes they are expensive. I found that out, when I looked at the price tag. But maybe you should settle for w Rock bass?

JDL-I mad at price and good Peavey's that laugh at my Dynabass

Yo...

I played one of those Warwick basses the other day just for shits n' grins. I wanted to see if I still hated them, because I used to think they sounded like stir-fried shit. To my suprise, I liked it. I can now see why people like them so much. They're easy to play, and they sound kind of "boingy" with nice response on the low-end with pleasant growly tones. I dunno if it'd work for my bands, but I thought it was pretty cool. The "rock" bass wasn't quite as nice as the bubinga one, but it was OK for the price. Considering that the bubinga jammy was about $1200, and the "rock" bass was only $500 or something, I think I'd probably just save my cash and get the more expensive one if that's what I wanted.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived