Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

carvin pb100-10

bassdrummer

Hi everyone,

I'm a drummer who is trying to get started on bass. I have an Ibanez GSR200 bass which I run through my Roland PM-3 V-Drums amp. I want a small, light bass amp for practice and small gigs. I like the Fender Bassman 25 which I've tried out in the store with my bass. For about the same price, I could get a Carvin PB100-10. Since Carvin only sells factory direct, I'd have to order it to try it out, but then I'm stuck with shipping and handling both ways if I don't like it. Has anyone heard the Carvin amp or have any comments? Especially if you've done the same comparison to the Fender amp. Or, does anyone have anything to say about the Fender amp? The poor drummer needs help!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one for a while, and in retrospect probably shouldn't have sold it. It's pretty much alone in its class as far as price, size, weight and power are concerned. Very sturdily built. Great neutral sound with no extraneous noise. Louder and far more luggable than many other practice amps.

Nice touches: push-button EQ curves; variable compressor control and noisegate (very useful if you have single coil pickups); fully recessed knobs and room to stow the power cord.

Buy it.

I'd go with the Carvin. But add the $20 and get it with the 15 inch speaker. Same thing, just 5 more inches of speaker.

I have a Fender 60, but I seriously dislike it. When you turn past 3 it gets all muddy, and its so huge,cause they have that messed up tilt-back thing goin on. Its such a drag to carry....

Here's the BIG difference: watts. The Carvin has 100w. The Fender has 25w. Do the math. Same price,different power. Oh wait..it's $20 for for the 15 speaker. I bet the 10inch sounds just as great.

It's portable,powerful, and not pricey! That was so lame....

I really dont like the fenders, but never have played through the carvin. From what I gather though carvin makes good stuff.

Be advised that nothing in your price range will probibly be able to hold its own with a drummer if that is what you plan on doing.

Dave

I'd go with CowbellAllen and recommend the PB100-15 over the 10. I have played both side by side, and the 15 sounds much more like what I want a bass to sound like, much deeper and fuller. I bought the PB100-15.

I play mine in jams against a drummer and two guitars and it holds its own. Last weekend, however, we had TWO drummers, one pretty loud, and I really had to crank it to be heard. But a 25 W amp would have been totally buried. More power is better. More speaker is better.

Bruiser

The carvin is the best value. I had one for about seven years and finally sold it to a student when I made my whole rig modular. It was a terrific amp that served me well and even guys like Carl Thompson (who I lent it to for a gig) were quite impressed with it. You can't go wrong for the money.

I think that the Carvin that Greenboy suggested is fantastic.

I just got back from the Thanksgiving vacation, and my relative had one of those. It was really great. Three of us were playing, 2 electrics and me on bass outta one amp. I wouldn't recommend that though....

The thing about that is its around...$450? Correct me if I'm wrong. I think thats a little outta the price range. It really is a cool sounding amp. You can use it for vocals,guitar,and bass.

The thing I like most about it though it the hunter green covering....I'm tired of black.

Originally posted by Bruiser:

I'd go with CowbellAllen and recommend the PB100-15 over the 10. I have played both side by side, and the 15 sounds much more like what I want a bass to sound like, much deeper and fuller. I bought the PB100-15.

I play mine in jams against a drummer and two guitars and it holds its own. Last weekend, however, we had TWO drummers, one pretty loud, and I really had to crank it to be heard. But a 25 W amp would have been totally buried. More power is better. More speaker is better.

Bruiser

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

Originally posted by Bruiser:

Bruiser

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Bruiser

Thanks everyone! Not only am I, bassdrummer, new to bass playing but I'm also new to this internet forum thing. It's really helpful. I had no idea I'd get so many helpful replies so quickly. I've decided not to get the Fender Bassman 25 and am going with Carvin. Bruiser, Cowbellallen, and Greenboy were especially helpful. Now I just have to decide which Carvin! I've had my eye on the green 3 channel 100 watt amp/p.a. for a while now, but as Cowbellallen pointed out it is quite a bit more money for this poor bassdrummer. After all, I still have to dream about things like new drums and cymbals . . . . . . more than likely I'll go with the PB100-15.

Thanks again everyone!

--Rush, "Limelight"

I can see the advantages of buying the "green" Carvin (despite his technical prowess, the color is why greenboy recommended it :P:D ). A friend that plays elec/acoustic guitar has one and loves it (and it sounds great). I never used it for bass.

I recently sat in with a rock band that plays small places - the instruments are powered by their own amps only. The bassist had the PB100-15. He sounded fine (he had a RIC). when I played, people said it was loud enough. The tone was fine (no bark/fart issues).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks a lot,glad I was some help

Yeah, I guess I can see your little budget problem. If I actually had to choose between the two, I would spring for the money and go with the AG100D. I think it's the best choice. That way, if you decide to take up vocals and electric/acoustic guitar also, you don't need anything else. It's pretty much an all-in-one package. You have the bass amp, guitar amp, and P.A. together, just for $450. Most people haul a ton of equipment around for their seperate instruments, but with this it makes so much easier.

But if you were still deciding, I'd check to see what Greenboy says. He knows what he's doing, and I'd check with him before buying anything. Sometimes that guy is so deep it freaks me out.

Man, how many cymbals do drummers need? I think I could get along with a ride and crash with hi hats, but I don't see the point in paying around $200 for a single Zildgian cymbal.

bassdrummer,

Yeah, I'm glad you found the forum helpful, and I think it's great that you came back to say so. One of my pet peeves is people who post a question, get a bunch of replies, and never come back to say Thanks. A little Netiquette goes a long way.

Welcome to the group, bassdrummer. :thu:

Bruiser

Archived