Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you play the "Day Tripper" riff?

Dan South

I'm trying different positions/fingerings for the main Day Tripper riff, but I haven't found one that I really like. Here's how I've been playing it recently. Any ideas on how to do it better?

Note (String-Fret)

E (A-7)

G (A-10)

G# (A-11)

B (D-9)

E (G-9)

D (D-12)

B (D-9)

F# (G-11)

B (D-9)

D (G-7)

E (G-9)

Thanks!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm......always thought that was a fairly easy 'riff' to cop with a little repetition.

Been a while, but if memory serves me...the song opens 1st w/the guitar....then bass , then drums.

I remember playin' the bass line from an open 'E' , then from an open 'A' ....

PJR

Yeah, an open E to a third fret G, fourth fret G#, second string 2nd fret B, third string 2nd fret E, open D, second string 2nd fret B, third string 4th fret F#, second string 2nd fret B,open D, third string 2nd fret E...repeat a few times, shift it up one string to the A, and repeat the pattern.

Why steal the hub caps...take the whole damn car instead!

http://www.carpecervesa.com

Don't trust me, I've never played it for an audience (damn those pit gigs.)

I've always played the lower octave, exactly as GB, except I use the f# on the a string. This is in keeping with my general habit of playing licks involving thirds, fifths and sixths...jus' like "Yo Mama Don Dance."

Here in this Thanksgiving Season, I would truly be thankful for a way to use notation on posts.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I was waiting to reply to this when I got home tonight and could pick up a bass. I'd definately play it like the Green-One suggested:

E (E-12)

G (A-10)

G# (A-11)

B (D-9)

E (G-9)

D (D-12)

B (D-9)

F# (G-11)

B (D-9)

D (D-12)

E (G-9)

That feels the most 'natural' to me when playing it in that octave. Is that the octave Paul played it in? I could have sworn he played it an octave lower... but it has been a long-ass time since I listened to that album.

-Bri

It's definitely in the higher octave, so the E riff is in unison with the guitar, not octaves. But as I said before, watch out for the A riff, it starts out in unison with the guitar and in the middle changes octaves and ends up in octaves with the guitar.

And as Greenboy says, a lot of 60's basslines were an octave higher than 00's basslines would be.

http://home.jps.net/~jeremy/daytripper.jpg

Say What? I have to buy a scanner? My wife already yells at me cause my 'puter is in the kitchen and spills over on the counter.

Seriously, I like that idea...it's readable, quick and suitably archaic.

But I could scan in tons of stuff...

Wait a minute...I'm supposed to have a web publishing feature available on my Sibelius....

hmmm...I wonder if I can create files and post them...

I think I have to have some web space available to park them and reference by URLS.

Tech-guys? How do I get Sibelius files to show up here?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I just got a new canon scanner, it's not much bigger than a piece of paper and you can set it up on end if space is really at a shortage. Less than $100.

If you have email through an ISP at home, there should be some webspace included. Contact your service department to get the passwords and proper ftp addresses. You'll need cuteftp or fetch or something to upload files. It's really fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

Woops, more revision. I too played it open E, open A riff. Fortunately, we dropped it (and never played it live) I also learnt it from a cover (Ocean Color Scene live) and seen the video of their bassist Damon Monchella playing it open E, A .....Damn pro's can't get anything right !!

CupMcmali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Archived